Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off - I've used a Browning gold with Nikon monarch, rifled barrel and have had outstanding performance out of the Hornady SST's. Good groups with the occasional flier.

A good friend has been trying to sight in his new slug gun - an 870, rifled barrel, trying out a swift scope.

Been shooting the 2-3/4 Rem copper solids and have experienced lackluster performance. Somewhat predictable groups out to 50, 75 inconsistent, and not a prayer of being on paper at 100 yards.

I tried those rounds and experienced decent performance, but not the tight groups that I've grown accustomed to with the SST's.

I shoot mine and get a bullseye at 100 with the SST's - some friend I am...

Any way, I'm recommending that he tries some more rounds from different mfgs to see what flies from his gun. I picked up a few boxes of SST's today to give those a go.

We're shooting from a lead sled and he's definitely not flinching (once or twice forgot to pump the next round in, so we've clearly ruled that out, lol). Scope seems to be consistent, so the variable seems to point to the ammo.

Any recommendations? I made sure he cleaned the gun (new a couple of weeks ago) before shooting, etc.

His shotgun season opens Saturday, it'd be nice to get the comfort zone out a tiny bit past 50 yds.

Thanks,

LAXPatrick

·
Registered
864 Posts
You may not like my responce, but first get rid of the lead sled, before you break your friends stock. The stock is made to transfer the recoil to your shoulder, and not to take all the recoil :? Sit up straight and shoot off of sand bags, and let your body rotate with the recoil :)

Next, is the barrel he has on his 870, a catilever mount barrel? Is the scope, a shotgun scope? Also you said you are keeping the barrel free of fouling, so we can rule that out :)

Try the SST's and get back to us.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Understand where you're coming from. We typically use it with less than one bag or none and it's a synthetic stock - granted the stock is taking a beating far beyond a shooter's flex with the recoil.

Will let you know how they fly...

LAXPatrick

·
Registered
420 Posts
Are you sure the scope is tightened down good and not adjusting POA with every shot? Little movement would appear as OK groups at 50 yards but be twice as bad at 100. Also, try some Lightfield Hybrid Expanders and Hastings Laser Accurate slugs. I have not see a rifled barrel that will not group those 2 decently.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a cantilever barrel on my 870 and a Bushnell Banner 1.75-4 cantilever scope with 6" of eye relief. I am shooting 2"groups or better with Remington Ultra core-lokt slugs 2 3/4 "
slugs. :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a friend in the same situation. I recommended he try the SSTs in his old Wingmaster with a new remington fully rifled cantilever scope mount barrel. Out to 50 was OK but at 100 he had some 11" groups and yes this guy can shoot.

He tried two other types of sabots that he could find locally and they were better but not great. The Remington rifled barrels have one of the slowest twists and I told him to try a rifled slug. Just be sure to keep an eye on the leading. The cheap rifled slugs gave him smaller groups than anything he has tried so far.

He is going to order some Brennekes and Hastings to see if he can find a sabot that works but for this season, he is staying with the rifled slug.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.