Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Are you seeking a 10ga. made on an 8ga. frame or an 8ga. built by boring out 10ga. barrels to 8ga.? If the later, one of our cousins in the UK once posted on another board that this had been done in the UK, where the 8ga. is still used as a legitimate waterfowler. I assume the origionals have become scarce and a replacement has been found in rebored Spanish 10ga's. Apparently there is plenty of steel to accomadate the alteration safely and therefore provides a relatively inexpensive source.

'Lonzo

·
Registered
13,285 Posts
I have an 8ga industrial slug that is intended for blasting clogs out of kilns. I picked up two of these shells at a gun show for $2 each. Curiosity got the better of me so I disected one. The slug is a lead cylinder one inch long and .88" in diamiter. It weighs a whopping 1,360 grains. The gun that fires it is a huge tripod mounted fixture not really adaptable for anything else. The 3" case has a band akin to a belt on a magnum rifle case to prevent it from being accidently chambered in a sporting shotgun. I have heard of people modifying these empty shells with lighter loads and altering chambers of older guns to accomidate them. Remington's web site has an industrial section if you want to see the gun. In a factory loading, these shells are way more than anything you would want to fire from the shoulder.

ES

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
Hello Al...we meet again!

As'lonzo says you may be thinking of the AYA Matador, made (I think) in the eighties and early nineties. This was a 10 gauge that some folks then had bored out to an 8.

I always felt it was a dodgy conversion, but having said that I've never heard of a mishap. Anyone selling (as opposed to merely making and using) such a gun in UK is obliged to have it re-Proofed. I suspect that's why so few come onto the second hand market.... fear of it failing,

Regards
Eug

·
Registered
629 Posts
Mr. Molloy: it was your post on Gunshop to which I was refering. I had remembered you refering to Zabala and Armi 10's made in the 80's-90's. I guess I read more into it than was there. I thought it to be a fairly common practice but from this post it seems I was wrong. Anyhow, I'm glad to see you over here.

Best, 'Lonzo

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
'lonzo

I'm sure other Spanish SxS 10's were indeed bored out too...just I've never seen one personally.

The Matador was converted relatively frequently.

Regards
Eug

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
The question was, "Is there a Spanish company that made a 10ga on an 8ga action?".

I know of two such makers, Eusebio Arizaga and Carrero y Astela, SA.

Other makers in Elgland such as Purdy and Holland & Holland also made 10ga guns on a heavy frame.

As to the years of production, I really can't tell you but Arizaga was making 8 and heavy actioned 10 gauge guns up until, at least 1972. As for the English makers, the 8ga pretty much disapeared when smokless powder came along.

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
A5guy said:
The question was, "Is there a Spanish company that made a 10ga on an 8ga action?".

I know of two such makers, Eusebio Arizaga and Carrero y Astela, SA.

Other makers in Elgland such as Purdy and Holland & Holland also made 10ga guns on a heavy frame.

As to the years of production, I really can't tell you but Arizaga was making 8 and heavy actioned 10 gauge guns up until, at least 1972. As for the English makers, the 8ga pretty much disappeared when smokless powder came along.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts