Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just transitioned from a Sizemaster to a 9000GN. It was great for the first 2 or 3 flats. Now the bar is sticking (at least once a box) to the left when I do the up stroke. Sometimes it stays there until I smack it and sometimes it suddenly releases half way up the stroke. I'm assuming it is hanging on a pellet. So what can I do to fix it or make it happen less??? I'm using new Lawrence Brand 7 1/2 shot.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
I kind of doubt it is on a pellet. When the bar is to the left the shot bushing is over the shot drop tube and the shot should all drop out. The top of the drop tube is funnel shaped which should help prevent problems. I would suggest unscrewing your powder bottle a quarter turn and see if this clears it up. If so, get one of the red plastic powder baffles for under the powder bottle and get rid of the rubber washers. But, do not use the baffle with 700X.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
This does not address the reason the bar sticks, but I use it as a fix to reduce the number of times the bar sticks. I zip tie about 4 or 5 coils on the return spring together. This takes the contained coils out of the stretch and makes the spring have more pull.
I do this working from the end of the spring about 4 coils deep. I used 2 ties, did not know how they would hold. No issues so far. Good luck,

·
Super Moderator
9,847 Posts
Check the height relationship between the powder bushing and the bar. I had a bar that got stuck because the bushing was too short and I had a powder leak below the bar.

Steve

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
Bar sticking is usually fixed by using the red plastic PC Powder Baffle, as it removes the friction on the bar caused by the washer/grommet lash-up.

The return spring can be strengthened by adding about 3 3/8 washers between the spring anchor and the end of the charge bar. Will require a longer bolt, a 3/8 USS X 3/4 in. long.

Make sure the rubber insert in the charge bar at the shot cavity is in good shape. If it's pretty well worn, replace the insert.

Lastly, remove and discard the grommet under the shot bottle. It is not needed when using the shot bar with the rubber insert. MEC says they are not necessary, and can be a source of friction.

DLM

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
I have run my 9000 with 2-3 extra washers and without. One thing I did notice while working on the press: When the bar is all the way to the left the spring pulls on the bar pretty darned hard. I'd estimate 10 pounds or so of force. That SHOULD be enough. I kind of vaguely recall that Republucan actually measured the force and posted some data. I certainly agree that the rubber insert is important. But, I am not at all sure it could cause sticking when the bar is all the way to the left. Regardless, it costs a buck or so to pop in a new one. Since the OP has stated that he DOES use the red plastic baffle, I'm going with Steve's theory. I'd remove the bar and bushing and inspect real carefully to see how well they line up top and bottom. If you had a bushing that sat just a tad low in the bar I can see how the spring loaded nozzle on the baffle could catch. This would happen when the bar was fully left.

I'd suggest that the next time the bar catches, do not force it. Simply reach up and unscrew the baffle from the bar housing about a turn and see if the bar snaps back to the right.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Was this a new or used 9000GN when you got it? I seem to remember that I had some problems with the bar sticking when I got my first 9000 (it was a while ago so memories are a bit faded). What I recall doing was taking the bar out, cleaning it and applying a bit of dry lubricant to it. If I were doing it today, I'd probably use some silicone spray. The problem went away but it wasn't long before I changed to a universal charge bar so I don't know how long it would have stayed away.

If the machine was used, it probably had enough wear to take care of any problems the lube job would address. In that case it is likely something else and the other suggestions above should help.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes I found it tonight. I wasn't driving it right! I was so cautious and slow I wasn't giving enough umph on the up stroke to alow the spring to work the bar. Once I figured out what was important to watch and in what order I started moving the handle at a good speed and cadance the problem went away. With a little experience you can feel and hear what's right and immediately catch what's wrong when it happens. Eleminating the spills. All is well!!! Thanks for all the suggestions!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.