Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says I have a 9000H and cannot get a crimp deep enough! I have done the following replaced the cam crimp in crimp station with the extended one. Replaced the turret assembly and all parts on it along with bolts. I increased the length on the hydraulic cylinder per Mec instructions when I called them. At this point I am out of ideas. I tried Mec last week after half an hour I left a message and no call back. Thoughts tips suggestions? Had to break out the old manual to get caught up with shells

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
A little more information. Is the press going down(full stroke) all the way? What are the components your loading?(hull, wad,etc) everything else I could ask really goes back to the first question. Like wad pressure,Wad guide setting, Pre Crimp. One mistake that I see a lot of people do(have done it my self). Is to adjust the crimp die just like on the single stage presses. teck this is correct.But if you Leave a little nail head at the crimp station. then remove it at the final taper crimp station. This gives you a little more adjustment. At least that's what I have found. That's how I got around needing the longer crimp part.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Crimp plunger is as low as it will go with the extended version. Yes the press is making a full stroke. Rem sts hulls I have loaded promo red dot and 700x. Claybuster 1oz wads. Or 7/8 oz Wad pressure is set to barely move when wad is seated. Wad guide is almost all the way to the operating rod. Maybe 1/32 below the bottom. Pre crimp is not quite nail size maybe a touch bigger but not much. Even if only using the crimp station there is barely a lip.

·
Administrator
23,839 Posts
As the title says I have a 9000H and cannot get a crimp deep enough! I have done the following replaced the cam crimp in crimp station with the extended one. Replaced the turret assembly and all parts on it along with bolts. I increased the length on the hydraulic cylinder per Mec instructions when I called them. At this point I am out of ideas. I tried Mec last week after half an hour I left a message and no call back. Thoughts tips suggestions? Had to break out the old manual to get caught up with shells
Not enough info.
Give us the full recipe and all parts of it that you are using. It may simply be a fit problem of components in that hull.
You were grossly short of needed info to give you good help.

·
Super Moderator
9,325 Posts
First, make sure station #6 taper die is not set too low that it runs into the shell carrier plate, rare but I have seen it.
Next, when your press is full down, the cross link pin that runs between the cross arms has to ever so lightly "kiss" the back of the center column.
Now put a shell in all the stations and check the same cross link pin for its "kiss", if it does not kiss the column now you most likely have low pressure in your system.
Steve

Reactions: 682og

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
19 grains of promo or red dot. sts hulls or cf AA hulls. claybuster pink 1oz wad throwing 434 grains of shot. This load crimps perfect in my 9000 manual.

·
Administrator
23,839 Posts
19 grains of promo or red dot. sts hulls or cf AA hulls. claybuster pink 1oz wad throwing 434 grains of shot. This load crimps perfect in my 9000 manual.
Make sure that the center screw in the bar does not hit the left hand side of the window hard enough to stop the travel of the press( It can and will). I try to set the travel so that the screw barely misses hitting the left hand side of that window. Once you have verified that, be sure to check what Steve Y has given you.

Reactions: 682og

·
Super Moderator
9,325 Posts
Mec makes a longer bolt for the crimp depth station
The poor mans versions of this part is to remove the existing one and weld/braze/epoxy a 1/4" flat washer to the bottom.
Steve

·
Administrator
23,839 Posts
If all the answers given have been checked off as being correct in your press. Then you are looking at the possibility of wear in the bolts and linkage that moves the turret up and down. Any slop there or worn/broken bolts results in travel loss of the turret and shallow crimping.
Also verify that the components in the hull are not higher than the line in the hull from previous crimpings. That will cause your trouble as well.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Just a shot in the dark, but if you had the crimp body off for repair/inspection and put it back together with the lock nut on top of the frame body, this will make everything shorter. Ask me how I know this?

My old Texans were lock nutted on top of the frame, and when I had the issues the OP is having, I accidentally put it back together this way. There is not enough adjustment, even with the extended punch MEC offers. The punch will reach, but there is no locking feature when you get it where it crimps good, and it won't stay put.

·
Administrator
23,839 Posts
Just a shot in the dark, but if you had the crimp body off for repair/inspection and put it back together with the lock nut on top of the frame body, this will make everything shorter. Ask me how I know this?

My old Texans were lock nutted on top of the frame, and when I had the issues the OP is having, I accidentally put it back together this way. There is not enough adjustment, even with the extended punch MEC offers. The punch will reach, but there is no locking feature when you get it where it crimps good, and it won't stay put.
Good point and very possible

Reactions: oldtechshooter

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update! With stations 1-4 empty the press does a perfect crimp. I moved the station six die up and that helped. Also raised the u shaped block on the ram up. The nut on station five is in the correct place. Once stations 1-6 are full the center bar stops about 3/16” short of making contact with the back of the press. I moved the powder tube up thinking that may be it. Nope. Cases in station one are resizing at the correct diameter as checked with calipers. Is there something on station one that I am missing?

·
Super Moderator
9,325 Posts
Once stations 1-6 are full the center bar stops about 3/16” short of making contact with the back of the press.
IMO your next step has to be to determine what your hydraulic pressure is. It should be set at 600 psi.
Steve

1 - 20 of 21 Posts