Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new 930HD with a Choate magazine extension. I shot the gun for the first time and experienced the same failure over and over. When I load on in the chamber and then 7 in the magazine, the gun fails to properly feed the second round after the first shot. The gun cycles fine, but the elevator seems to go up before the second round gets to it. The first shot ejects and the second shot falls to the ground.

Any experience with this?

Oh, yea. I also lost my support bracket that holds the mag tube extension to the barrel after shooting 75 rounds. The bracket had even been tightened about halfway through the shooting. Should I try to find a replacement or can I go without it. The only thing I would want it is for a sling, but it was sort of a cheap piece anyway.

·
Registered
303 Posts
First off, Did the gun work ok before you made the mods ? You bascialy have a SPX but without the pic rail and GRSs. You might want to check on the Tactical / HD form. There are some post from awhile back about the same problem. The Choate spring is very long and alot stronger than the factory spring used in the SPX. If I remember from the other post the stronger spring puts alot more pressure on the shells in the mag tube that the shell stop will not release them. Try less rds. in the mag tube and see what happens. You might have to play with the new spring ( cutting off some coils ) to get the right combo of feeding the first rd. and realiable feeding. You did order an extra spring didn't you. The SPX does not use a clamp. I have had no trouble with the mag tube extention on my SPX. Are you useing the Choate follower or the factory one? Make one change at a time ( a lesson I learned working on my old car) You can also try a mag spring from an 8 rd. 590. It,s made for an 8 rd. mag already and is made different with smaller coils at the ends and larger coils near the middle. Should be able to get one ( or 2) from Mossberg or Midway USA. , Brownells , even Wolff. I think Wolff makes the springs in extra power come in a 3 pac no less. I have been shooting my SPX for over 2 years this month. I have over 6500 rds. through her now. I just last month added the Choate Combat Bolt Handle to her. Otherwise the gun is stock.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts