Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been lurking aroud this site for a while trying to decide on which 12ga semi to get, and I've settled on a 930 based on reviews. The problem is I don't have a gun shop around here that has any instock, so I'm planning on ordering a 930 from Cabelas. I like the look of the wood stocked one, but is it solid wood, or is it laminate. Thanks.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, that's what I had figured, but wasn't 100% sure.

Now if only I could find one up here in Canada. It seems that nobody has either the wood or the synthetic in stock. Not wholesale sports (country wide), Cabelas Canada (backordered for probably 3 months), both of the Bass Pro shops up here, or any of the relatively local dealers that I know of. If anybody out there has a lead on a new wood-stocked waterfowl 930 in Canada, let me know...it'd be greatly appreciated. (Maybe Smitty has got an inside lead :wink:)

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I haven't held one personally, so im not positive, but am quite sure.

What are the legalities of buying in the US and taking it back to Canada? Dunno if you have noticed, but there has been quite a buying frenzy here. :lol: 8)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought about that, and called to a couple different cabelas south of the border (they didn't have any in stock). However, even if I can find one in the US, it would cost atleast $150-200 to get a private company to import it for me (to set up the FFL paperwork, then transfer it over to the Canadian side). For a gun that costs $550 up here, I don't really wanna add on an extra couple of hundred bucks. And driving to the US and bringing it back isn't really an option because of the distance, and then it's still not guaranteed the border/customs will let it through (from what I've read).

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Look around the web and see if you can find one to ship to canada (like buds gun shop or davidsons).
Also, if your local walmart still sells firearms, they will order just about any long gun you want (altho its time consuming)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, Walmart up here doesn't sell guns, and the issue with with one south of the border that can ship to Canada is that you still need an authorized FFL recipient (we don't have FFL up here, and most gun shops I've talked to don't want the hassle of dealing with the private cross-border stuff).

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I've got 2 930's that ar ewood, yes, they are 100% wood.

One is nice, the other I bought just because the wood was so nice. I have since seen one other 930 that had even nicer wood than mine.

As far as what's available in Canada, call the factory @ 1-203-230-5300 when you get the recording press "0" ask the person that answers to transfer you to the whoever handles sales for Canada, they should be able to point you in the right direction or at least let you know what the distributors have in stock so you can have your local shop order one....

Good Luck and post pics when you get it!!

Smitty

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well Cabelas Canada said the wood stocked ones have been on backorder since July of '08. They did a bit of searching said they still had a couple of the synthetic ones in stock though. So that's what I've ordered. it should be here in a week or two.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
grouse man said:
Man, I'm glad I bought mine when I did.
Me and you both. I wanted a synthetic model to begin with, and I wanted the HD/field combo. I had mine in a week. I hate to wait that long for something.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
are you happy with the synthetic stock? I plan on filling the butstock with some of that mono foam to fix that "hollow" sound.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
The thing I like the best about the synthetic stock is that you can really add cast on or cast off with the shim kit. Being a lefty, I really like that. . .even though I have shot neutral or right hand guns my whole life, the cast on helps. Of course, now I bought a LH CG Woodlander 28 gauge after I found out how much of a difference it makes. :lol:

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
jpics-before you shoot your stock full of foam, try what worked for me. It is easily reversible, and free. Don't laugh too hard, it worked! My Stoeger 2000 had the same hollow feel. I stuffed it full of those plastic grocery bags with a long wooden handled kitchen spoon-really packed them in good. It worked-it feels completely solid. It's clean and free.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Neanderthal said:
jpics-before you shoot your stock full of foam, try what worked for me. It is easily reversible, and free. Don't laugh too hard, it worked! My Stoeger 2000 had the same hollow feel. I stuffed it full of those plastic grocery bags with a long wooden handled kitchen spoon-really packed them in good. It worked-it feels completely solid. It's clean and free.
yeah, I was figuring the foam might not be the best idea to start out with. I've done it to synthetic rifles before, but there's nothing inside of the stock. With the shotgun, there's stuff there that I might want access too. I got a ton of plastic grocery bags here, so I think you've got a pretty good idea. I'll give it a try.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.