Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had a guy call me to ask if I had parts for his Mossberg 935. He was shooting 3" Remington Copper Solids out of it, and blew the bolt out of the gun in pieces. He found the firing pin and some other parts, but he knew he didn't find them all.

Just a heads up on possible problems with any 935's out there. I really shouldn't blame the copper solids, because it sounds like a bad bolt in the gun. Something wasn't locked up right when it fired.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just spoke to a second guy that had the bolt come apart in his 935. He sent it in to Mossberg, and they fixed it for free. He was shooting goose loads when his came apart .... So I guess that clears Remington of any wrong doing. It is a manufacturers defect.

I am wondering now about anyone that is left handed, shooting a right handed 935? I am left handed, and I really wouldn't want, parts of the bolt assembly flying out into my face :shock: I am glad I don't own one :)

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
The manual has all kinds of WARNINGS and CAUTIONS about firing slugs from 935 barrels...

930/935 OWNERS MANUAL said:
SLUGS: Overbored 935 Accu-Mag barrels are designed for lead, steel, and other non-toxic shot loads only. We specifically disclaim any responsibility for damage or injury resulting from firing slugs (single-projectile ammunition) through overbored barrels. Use only non-overbored 935 barrels designed specifically for slug shooting.
The barrels are overbored to 10GA dimensions, theoretically, the slug can "wobble" and get jammmed causing an obstruction and you get a kaboom...

That sounds like what happened.... unless he had a 935 rifled "SLUG" barrel which is the "standard" 12 GA diameter. In which case, there is definitely a problem.

Smitty

·
Registered
141 Posts
Smitty in CT said:
The manual has all kinds of WARNINGS and CAUTIONS about firing slugs from 935 barrels...

930/935 OWNERS MANUAL said:
SLUGS: Overbored 935 Accu-Mag barrels are designed for lead, steel, and other non-toxic shot loads only. We specifically disclaim any responsibility for damage or injury resulting from firing slugs (single-projectile ammunition) through overbored barrels. Use only non-overbored 935 barrels designed specifically for slug shooting.
The barrels are overbored to 10GA dimensions, theoretically, the slug can "wobble" and get jammmed causing an obstruction and you get a kaboom...

That sounds like what happened.... unless he had a 935 rifled "SLUG" barrel which is the "standard" 12 GA diameter. In which case, there is definitely a problem.

Smitty
Bingo. You are NOT supposed to shoot slugs down overbored barrels. 835 and 935. The barrels are explicitly stamped with this information.

I shoot a 935 with a 24" fully rifled, cantilever barrel that is NOT overbored. It's also stamped 2 3/4", 3", and 3 1/2" shells.

I also, to answer all questions, shoot this right handed gun left handed.....and have NEVER had a problem of any kind. I also have a righty SBE that I shoot for waterfowl, and have had no problems with that gun either.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not sure if the first guy was using a slug barrel or not. He was shooting Copper solids, so I would assume he was using a rifled slug barrel.

The second guy was goose hunting, and never fires slugs from his gun.

I have seen more problem with Mossbergs, since they move their plant to Texas. The newer Mossbergs just are not as good as the older ones.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I have the two of the Mossberg 930's, not the 935, and I have over 13,000 rounds without a single malfunction. I can't speak for the reliability of the 935's, but the 930's are definitely reliable, plus, they'll handle light target loads, where the 935 won't.

Smitty

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I run a gun shop, and do some gun smithing as well. I have more new Mossbergs come in with problem, than any other gun out there. The older Mossbergs are great guns as well.

I also know there are going to be a few people out there that own a "newer" Mossberg, or maybe 2 Mossbergs, that claim it is a great gun. Because I get to see all the broken guns, other people have, I can basically can say that Mossberg has gone down hill with their quality.

For example, the Mossberg 9200 was a machine that just would not stop, and yes it was an older gun. The 9200 that are still out there, just keep on going. I never had to do anything to them, but maybe a little trigger work. NOW lets jump on to the 935's. About 1 out of every 5 935's, I have sold, have come back with problems. First it was feeding problems, and now it is bolts blowing out of guns. I don't care what anyone says .... The newer Mossbergs, are accidents just waiting to happen :shock:

How many people here have owned the Mossberg 500 in a 410? Talk about a gun that would not feed :evil: 50 percent of the model 500 410 would not feed right. I finally talked people into buying an 870 if they wanted a 410 pump. The next model 500 problem I have seen allot, is the bolt not locking shut, but would still fire :shock: This last year I have not seen the locking shut problem any more .... They must have reworked that gun, to eliminate that problem.

I will just say, if you own a newer Mossberg, and it is working good for you, consider yourself lucky, and hope it stays that way :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts