Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 590A1 with a 20 inch barrel. I was wondering if I could hunt squirrel with it? What would be the effective range? I think I should use #6 (maybe a heavy or hi power load). Please help me. I want to take out a whole village of these little bastards.

Regards,
dano

·
Premium Member
2,667 Posts
If you can shoot they will die! 6's are a good choice in the early season as there are plenty of pellets to shred the leaves and still punch the clock of the tree rat.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
#6's and your gun should work fine. Don't forget to have someone heating the skillet and getting the biscuits ready. Don't forget to invite us over for the squirrel feast. I've had a lot of game meat and was shocked last year (first time eating tree rat) that these little buggers are some of the finest eating.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I always use #6 when I use the shotgun for squacks. Make plenty of gravy and biscuts and you will think you are at a royal banquet. They ain't bad for bushy tailed rats.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got to agree with these folks. Number 6s will do the job just fine. Sometimes, when in the tall oaks in late season, like to switch to Number 4s. Hey, just 28 days to go, here in WV. Grouse opens a week later too!

·
Premium Member
19,768 Posts
No one has said anything about the choke yet. If your 590A1 has a cylinder barrel for home defense purposes, then using #6 shot would give a very OPEN pattern at anything more than about 22 to 25 yards. You would run out of pattern density before you run out of effective pellet energy. With a cylinder barrel, I'd recommend #7.5 shot and try to get close enough to keep the shots under 33 yards.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
when you say "open", I take it that the squirrel would not die farther than 75 yards. Would you not recommend shooting #6? should I shoot # 4or5?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts