Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
30,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this beautiful little .410 Model 500 SKB for a couple or three years, and ever since I got it I've been looking for a 28 gauge and a 20 gauge, and maybe a 12 gauge to keep it company. I found one right here on the classifieds in shotgunworld, and when Bladeswitcher unpacked it I suspected that somebody had stripped off the poly and applied an oil finish when they put on the recoil pad, and I was right. 4/0 steel wool comes off brown from the wood, and I've added a couple of coats of boiled linseed oil to this gun already, and there will be a lot more to go. What a bargain these old fixed choke SKB small gauge guns are on today's market! For about half or less than a similar condition Citori or Beretta, you can buy one of the old SKB over and unders and have a dandy, first class, modern little small bore. If we ever have to shoot steel shot you can have the chokes reamed out of the barrels and blaze away, because the SKB over and unders were silver soldered, and should handle steel shot just fine so long as you keep the shot size down to something reasonable for a small bore shotgun.

Here's the new to me SKB 20 gauge over and under, with 26" barrels, choked IC/M. It's in extremely high condition. I pulled the stock and the insides looked brand new.

This is the 3" 410 28" barreled Model 500 .410 choked M/F that got me all in love with over and under SKB shotguns. It's in even higher condition than the 20 gauge, with all it's original finish.

I don't think the lack of choke tubes hurts a small bore shotgun as much as a 12 gauge gun. The .410's, 28's, and even the 20's are not going to be waterfowl or turkey guns, unless you just want the thrill of using a small bore for what is a 12 gauge gun's job.

The small bore guns are made to shoot upland birds and clay birds at the range. You don't need a great selection of chokes for the ranges they will shoot.

Besides, guns with choke tubes cost a whole lot more money. You get to have more shotguns if you can live with fixed chokes.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
Yep. It's definitely a nice little gun and a bargain for sure!

But . . . as a former photographer, your photos make me want to scream. Turn that damn date stamp feature off on your camera! With digital cameras, there is no need to booger up your photos with a date stamp in the image area (if there ever was, even with film cameras). Every digital file includes the date and time the photo was taken as part of its meta data. To find out when the photo was taken, all you have to do is "get info."

Nice gun, though.

·
Banned
30,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bladeswitcher. I didn't know the date was imbedded in the digital picture.

I'm still just in awe that you don't have to send them off to get developed.

·
Registered
96 Posts
SX1,
You got me to thinking Id really appreciate it if you wanted to pass that .410 along to me for a good deal!! I've got a lonely 585 28gauge that I'm fond of!
Nice guns!
JT

·
Registered
747 Posts
I think these SKB's are among the best value O/U guns on the used market today, but I'm hard pressed to convince any of my shooting buddies. I've got a 585 Target model that I love.

·
Banned
30,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As pretty as my two SKB's are, in the presence of Blade's Model 700 20 gauge and his 585 Sporting Clays gun, mine are weighed in the balance and found wanting.

SKB made some really super nice guns.

But just like a a lot of people, back when they were alive nobody seemed to appreciate them, you know?

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
SuperXOne said:
As pretty as my two SKB's are, in the presence of Blade's Model 700 20 gauge and his 585 Sporting Clays gun, mine are weighed in the balance and found wanting . . .
Not that it matters, but it's a 785. A 585 would have the same grade of wood/engraving as your two SKBs. But, as we both know, pretty wood and fancy engraving doesn't break birds. Also, inside, all the SKB's are identical.

·
Banned
30,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Excuse me for de-grading your 785 two full grades. It is a gorgeous gun, and higher grade guns are the greatest bargains in SKB's, in my opinion.

The engraving, fit and finish, and especially the wood quality of Blade's older Model 700 is just breathtaking, and so is his much later production Model 785. When those guns were brand new, I dont remember people being so thrilled with them, but in years to come I think folks will realize just how high quality SKB's were. To duplicate the same grade of shotgun in a Citori or a Beretta 600 series today would cost many thousands of dollars.

But even the base model Ithaca 500's were nicely finished, well stocked, nicely made shotguns. But we all like better wood, engraving, and fit and finish, if the price is right.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
SuperXOne said:
When those guns were brand new, I dont remember people being so thrilled with them, but in years to come I think folks will realize just how high quality SKB's were. To duplicate the same grade of shotgun in a Citori or a Beretta 600 series today would cost many thousands of dollars . . .
Maybe we could just keep this a secret until I acquire a couple more, OK?

·
Banned
30,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I weighed my charges from my PW 375 loader and the bushing was tossing about 14.4 grains of Unique, which was in fact an underload for 7/8 ounce shot. I changed bushings to a MEC 24 which brought the charge weights up to 15.4 grains of Unique and now my SKB resets every single time I shoot it. I can hardly feel any difference in recoil, but it was just enough to reset the trigger.

I need to find a 28 gauge SKB. These little guns are jewels.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts