Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all, I am looking at the Remington 870 left handed and the Browning Bps. My local Bass Pro Shop has the 870 for $319 and the BPS for $429. My question is, is the Browning worth the extra money in the long run? All responses are greatly appreciated. Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
784 Posts
hairtrigger said:
Bottom eject and thumb safety are worth the extra cash to me
I also like the tang safety, but also fine Remington's safety on the trigger guard easy to switch back and forth between that and a tang safety.

A question on the bottom loading of the BPS, can a shell be inserted directly into the chamber from the bottom or do you have to feed it through the magazine to get to the chamber?

Also see my post below that I replied on this same topic in the Remington forum:
You may also want to evaluate the warranty service provided by both manufacturers in making your decision on value. Here is a thread about the Browning warranty, http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtop ... 626#440626 and you may be able to find some more as well as some comments about Remington's warranty and service.

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
I think either gun will work fine and last a lifetime. If the Remington is the express rather than the wingmaster, then I think the Browning is well worth the difference for the better finish on the gun. I think it will hold up better and be less likely to rust.
The Browning is probably back bored with the Invector plus choke system and maybe the long forcing cones? That alone would swing the difference for me.
The $419 sounds like a pretty low price for the BPS. I would go for it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yes, you can put a shell directly into the chamber with the slide back.
I have seen with several 870's a shell jamming between the bolt and shell lifting arm, This can happen if the forearm is not cycled completely. The only solution is to completely disassemble the gun

·
Registered
56 Posts
Absolutely, but then again you are in the Browning forum. I think that the BPS just reeks of quality over the 870, but the 870 will last too.

Both guns will last and are reliable, but the BPS is a more "quality" gun, better finish and fit.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
If the the 870 is a Wingmaster then you have choice between the two best pumps currently available.

If the 870 is an Express--buy the BPS.

I've owned and shot both--the BPS, a 3.5" Mag Stalker was sold to a fellow with longer arms than I have--'cause there was no way to shorten the BPS synthetic stock.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Go to the Remington forum and ask how many have had a shell stuck between the bolt and the carrier.
This is now uncommon when the pump is short stroked!
If you get a chance cycle both pumps. I believe you will find the BPS smoother..... unless you find a old 870.
Try both on for size, as mentioned fit is very important. check out the safeties, which is more comfortable for you?
extra BPS barrels will cost you more $$ than the Remington's
You can empty the BPS magazine by pushing the catch with your thumb, you do not need to cycle the action. Also on some BPS's there is a magazine cut off that comes in handy.

There you have it... more random thoughts , Very random

1 - 11 of 11 Posts