Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I shot:
2 ducks, one shot - a mallard pair - jumped them from a creek. Both are local birds and were a little on the small side but are in the freezer :)

my first goose - it was out about 45 yards or so - seems the 3" has a range a little longer than the 2.75" shells I'm used to - the bird landed stone dead and weighted 13 lbs - a full 3 lbs more than the usuals we (my Dad) has been dropping.

All in all, a nice morning on the marsh.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Congratulations. I shot my first ever ducks, a pair of woody drakes, while walking a wooded stream a few years back. Those were in October and were definitely local birds since one was banded nearby a few years before.
Just wondering, how do you know the ducks you got were local? We had a lot of movement through my area last week because of the big snow and then the semi-freeze up.
I have yet to connect with a goose, there are thousands upon thousands in my area but they just don't excite me like ducks, of which there are few.

Jeremiah

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
These birds were smaller than the travellers - they live in the river nearby and hang around all year - think of a runt compared to the rest of the litter - there's a whole flock of them like this.

Openeing them up reveals the diet and confirms suspicion - no exotic foods there, they've been here a good while.

I've had a double before but not knocked down 2 with 1 shot before Saturday - Dad was pretty happy for me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts