Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last monday I took Defensive Shotgun Skills with Suarez International up Bangor Maine and wanted to share a couple of things.

1. Pattern your gun.

One of the first thing we did was to patern our guns with the loads we would use at various ranges. The shell information, range, and gun was written on the targets and will be filed away for reference.

2. The shotgun is part of a system

Suarez International views the shotgun as a two part system with a handgun due to the fact that shotguns have a low magazine capacity and are slow to reload. Because of this, your shotgun needs a sling.

3. 2 3/4" shells are king

Now I know that this is going to rile a few folks here but the logic behind this is that darn near every shotgun you are going to pick up will chamber 2 3/4" shells. I have 5 shotguns right now. One will take 3 1/2", two will take 3" and 2 will take only 2 3/4". By only buying 2 3/4" shells as my defensive loads, I can grab any one of my guns and not worry about if the shells will or won't fit. Those of you in a law enforecement role or folks who might find themselves with other folks in a situarion where you'd need to be armed, you will enjoy being able to share ammo if need be.

·
Registered
500 Posts
zombie said:
3. 2 3/4" shells are king

Now I know that this is going to rile a few folks here but the logic behind this is that darn near every shotgun you are going to pick up will chamber 2 3/4" shells. I have 5 shotguns right now. One will take 3 1/2", two will take 3" and 2 will take only 2 3/4". By only buying 2 3/4" shells as my defensive loads, I can grab any one of my guns and not worry about if the shells will or won't fit. Those of you in a law enforcement role or folks who might find themselves with other folks in a situation where you'd need to be armed, you will enjoy being able to share ammo if need be.
2 3/4" shells also:
- hurt less (usually)
-cost less (usually)
-are more readily available
-have more variety (trap loads for practice, slugs, 00 buck for other work)
-have worked so far

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Thanks for the info, zombie. That reminds me to get back on that sling project I have been putting off.

I have to agree with the 2 3/4 shells in all aspects. Looking at it objectively, when are you really going to need 3 or 3 1/2 in shells? Hunting geese is about it, or maybe another high flying bird. The bad guys may be high but not in altitude and a 2 3/4 will make just as big a hole as the others will. Plus, like Wolf said, they're cheaper.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Funny, I was just reading Suarez's tactical pistol.

I'd love to read "The Tactical Rifle".

Thanks for sharing Zombie!

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One more to add...

Loctite your sh*t. On my Nova, the magazine clamp and the short screws that hold the plastic shell holder to the aluminum mounting plate shot loose. Fortunately, I didn't loose any thing.

They were the only two items that didn't get loctited....

·
Registered
54 Posts
What was your impression of the course? I'm considering their class next year in CO and would appreciate any feedback. What did you learn? What could they do differently? Etc. Thanks!

·
Registered
13,317 Posts
Why a sling? Is it so that you can drop your shotgun and not loose it while you reach for your pistol in an emergency?

ES

·
Registered
719 Posts
Why a sling? Is it so that you can drop your shotgun and not loose it while you reach for your pistol in an emergency?
Yes - and it's also a handy way to carry you're ****** if you're going for a "long walk" - leaves your hands free yet it's quickly available.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Or to secure it if you go indoors in tighter spaces than you have room to swing around that 18 in. bbl.

Or if you need hands free to drag wounded, operate a door, work on a fuse box, use the red key card to open the skull door on level 3. You know, WHATEVER.

Think of the shotgun and handgun like best friends, rather like barbecue and beer or chocolate and peanut butter.

Sure, you can enjoy them on their lonesome but why?

This also assumes you have a quality holster for your handgun.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ezra Smack said:

ES
A sling on a long gun is like a holster for a pistol.

Slings allow you to transition without leaving your shotgun behind, as well as allowing free use of your hands without putting it down. A sling also aids in retention if you have to struggle for your shotgun.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
what does the zombie sg run for a sling?

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've run them all. :D

Single points are my least favorite for shotguns. The 18" minimum barrel lenght makes them to long to work well, IMHO.

They'd be alright on an SBS, though.

The Vickers 2 point wasn't too bad. I'll have to work with it a little more, though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Reverend Db said:
Or to secure it if you go indoors in tighter spaces than you have room to swing around that 18 in. bbl.

Or if you need hands free to drag wounded, operate a door, work on a fuse box, use the red key card to open the skull door on level 3. You know, WHATEVER.

Think of the shotgun and handgun like best friends, rather like barbecue and beer or chocolate and peanut butter.

Sure, you can enjoy them on their lonesome but why?

This also assumes you have a quality holster for your handgun.

oh the memories.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.