Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was ready to buy a new pump shotgun and I had it narrowed down to 2 combos Rem.870 express combo or the win 1300 combo. When I went to the local gun shop to pick a combo I was introduced to the Benelli Nova, the BPS and the Charles Daly field hunter. As UGLY as a thought the nova was I loved its features and as pretty as I thought the bps was I was scared I would never want to ruin the finish. Im not to concerned about price so I am looking for opinons on features and functionality on the different guns from anyone. Also any suggestions on any other pumps?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Benelli Nova. Look no further than the materials it's made of and the only design changes in pumps since WWII. It's not like it Joes Shotgun Co.with a new design, its Benelli. Who knows shotguns better than the boys in Brescia and they've made a great one here.

G

·
I really want to know about the 1300 Black Shadow and 870 Express Magnum too. I'm considering both of these shotguns as they are in my price range. Which would you choose and why?

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Thay are both good serviceable field guns. As for parts quality...it's about the same. I prefer the steel receiver of the Remington Wingmaster/Express line, but since both actions lock up in the steel barrel extension...it's just a matters of choice. Bottom line is.....which one points best for you, which weight do you like, and what will be the follow up price on extra chokes, etc. There was some problem with the plastic bushing the hammer was mounted on in the Winchester, but I am sure that was taken care of. I like the stainless long choke tubes in the Remington much better than the Invector tubes in the Winchester, but I can't really say they patten better. Best Regards, James

·
Registered
185 Posts
I found the action on NEW Expresses to be less than that of a Wingmaster...the furniture (wood anyway) wasn't its equal and the metal finish was less on the Express...AND IT SHOULD BE FOR $250 bux less...the parts are the same base material and a little use should "polish" up the express...perfectly servicable shotgun that puts many people into a good product at a good price...da*m...now I WANT AN EXPRESS!
Just my .02
Bill

·
Registered
314 Posts
Check out these 2 threads, and your answer will be there.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtop ... 26bfecd96f

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtop ... 26bfecd96f

As for the Benelli Nova, the only experience with it was at an IPSC match. The owner was coming to the end when the gun jammed. We ended up taking off the barrel to remove the live round. It was still locked up. The nearest we could figure, at that point was, the action rail had tisted in the frame.

At this time, I DO NOT RECOMMEND THE BENELLI NOVA.

RePete.

G

·
Wouldn't overlook the Ithaca 37. Built to last a lifetime of hard shooting. Shucks smooth as silk, points well and is light! Wouldn't leave home without my 37, 16 gauge, 26-inch barrel. Have put a lot of meat in the freezer with this one.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I'd chime in for the 870 express for a first gun. I've had several and all performed flawlessly. It's a good solid action; what's missing is the fit and finish of the wingmaster. Of course, if price is no object, get the wingmaster or an Ithaca 37. Mossberg and Winchester also make perfectly good entry-level pumpguns.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I'd chime in for the 870 express for a first gun. I've had several and all performed flawlessly. It's a good solid action; what's missing is the fit and finish of the wingmaster. Of course, if price is no object, get the wingmaster or an Ithaca 37. Mossberg and Winchester also make perfectly good entry-level pumpguns.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Go with the 870. For the money they are the best shotguns money can buy.

G

·
I want to see with my eyes the Nova, so I can decide what to buy. Please tell me where can I buy it. Which store has it? I live in Ottawa, maybe somebody can help me to locate a store, dealer who sells it. Tnx, Rob

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Hey! :? No one here likes the BPS? I love mine. I have the 3 1/2 inch Magnum Stalker. It has the flat black finish with a synthetic stock. Its a tought constumer. Two year ago during deer season the tail gate on my truck did not latch and it slide out of the back of the truck in an inexpesive hard case (I have since upgraded my case, and fixed the tailgate). When it hit the road the case popped open and the gun rolled across the road. It has a mark or two on the rib and reciever and a few marks on the stock, but still functions flawless. I shoot 4-5 rounds of trap every week at league with it. Its also great for the lefties. My little brother, a lefty, got one just for that reason. They're a little more then an 870 but the extra money spent won't disappoint.

Matt

·
Registered
124 Posts
I just bought a Benelli Nova at Gander Mountain for 299. I got a 12 ***** with a 28" barrel. The gun comes with 3 chokes (only one with the 870), ready for a sling (that costs extra for the 870), and has overall more useable features than the 870 for less money. I can shoot 2 3/4 to 3 1/2 shells, add a recoil reducer in 5 minutes (already done), take the gun apart without any additional tools, and eject the shell in the chamber without having to reload the gun. Not to mention the matte finish will hold up in all weather conditions and no worries about rust. Can you do that with an 870? Afraid not.

If you are going to USE the gun, then the Nova gets the nod every time. Not pretty, but at that price you aren't going to hang it on the mantle, if you know what I mean.

G

·
All other things being equal, the Nova wins hands down. I have used all of the guns being considered, and I even had a Mossberg 500 for a few years. The Nova is just incredibly durable, I dunked mine in a river duck hunting when my leg cramped up. Took it home dried it out, no problems. Speaking of the drying out, this thing is a cinch to take apart. It has the trigger assembly and the bolt, that's about it. This opposed to the ten or so parts in a Mossberg or similar gun. Also has the magazine cut off button, which is useful for swapping loads fast or crossing obstacles with a clear chamber. And one more great feature, the spring loaded rotary bolt for lightning fast pumping. Take the Nova you wont be dissapointed.

G

·
I want to see with my eyes the Nova, so I can decide what to buy. Please tell me where can I buy it. Which store has it? I live in Ottawa, maybe somebody can help me to locate a store, dealer who sells it.
In Ottawa, the gun store on St. Laurant (1555 St. Laurant) sells them. Can't remember the exact name... 'Sports Action,' or something...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.