Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchaced a nice little fox #261798 approx.98% barrells and 80% rec. this gun also has ejectors,26 inch barrells and seems In excellent shape. My question is I often hear people say lever well right of center,I assume this implies many more years of service left in an old gun,My gun lines up in the center is this of concern?does this mean my gun won't last as long as other similar guns??also this gun appears to be a transition gun 1930 savage bought fox the gun seems to be all fox.It says fox sterlingworth on the rec.Is the gun worth as much as philly guns?

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
I've got it placed at 1929..and Savage bought fox in November of 1929 ending '29 at 20 ga production number 262000 so yours would have been right about the time of the sale I'd imagine if all things were equal. For a time after Savage took over they were using parts that had been produced by Fox . The sources I have the later guns were valued the same as the original A.H.Fox's.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Stonewall,
Concerning the lever being "center" rather than "well right".I wouldn't worry too much unless it's slightly left.However,the problem doesn't mean your gun isn't long for this world.Find a gunsmith in your area with a reputation for quality work on SxS's,and ask him what it'll take to fix it. I believe you'll find that the repair is not terribly expensive.If "center" worries you now,have it done sooner rather than later.
Good Luck,
Jim
P.S.If you can't locate a suitable gunsmith,post a question here or on the Shooting Sportsman site[am I allowed to say that?].You'll quickly find the right guy.

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
Well now I know where you've been hiding lately ;) Sure you can say it, this is a Freedom of Speech zone , of course if he doesn't come back you'll have to log in an extra time to make up for the missing hit :D

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Naww Marland,I'm here[and there] as often as time allows [not often lately].By the time I get a chance to see the fun stuff, it's days old and [thanks to you] well answered :D
Jim
P.S. How's that for an "extra"

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Marland,
No,not definitively,but I managed to gain contact with a fellow in Belgium,named Luc.Prior to Francotte closing their doors,he was rather high up.Luc tells me that the gun was produced in 1926, probably by a company named ARMAF,and valued at roughly 1000 Euro[$1200.00 U.S.].Luc came up with the date of manufacture based on the f with * above, mark.He said he was currently compiling a complete list of such marks to accurately date Belgiun guns.I haven't heard from him since,although I did drop him a line recently.I'm hoping he remembers his promise to send me a copy when the list is complete,it could come in quite handy around here.
Jim

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
Yeah Jim, if you can get a copy of that list you'd be able to put a smile on a lot of folk's faces around here. the forum really needs someone who is strong on the European guns.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Stonewall
I just Checked in. Hello everyone.
My dad is getting old, and wants to pass on hes side by side to me.
It is a Armaf. Liege.
There is some info on the net.
Search for Armaf+Liege
Svenne

1 - 9 of 9 Posts