Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, the questions are, which of the following Berettas would be considered the "best deal" on a SC gun?

Which do you think the better gun is?

Used ( listed at 99% w/box) 682 Gold Sporting @ $2495
New SP II Sporting @ $2400
New SP III Sporting @ $2550

Your suggestions please and, why? :)

Thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
depends on what your going to be doing with the gun. Hunting or sport shooting. Also which one feel better and fits better? I am looking at buying a 682 sport gun for sporting clays, new they are around $3000.00 (so used in great condtion, your saving a nice penny)

If your looking at a 687 II or III, I like the III way more then the II, the reciver on the III has engraving, on the II it looks like a pressed pcs of tin, fitted onto the gun (not a fan of the 687 II). I own the model right before the changed to the II , III, and etc. I have a 687 Silver Pigeon L, (Both in a 12ga, & 20ga) these guns almost the same as the 687 III (engraved look), the 687 II looks alittle cheap for me (agian my opinion)

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
take'em now said:
depends on what your going to be doing with the gun. Hunting or sport shooting. Also which one feel better and fits better? I am looking at buying a 682 sport gun for sporting clays, new they are around $3000.00 (so used in great condtion, your saving a nice penny)

If your looking at a 687 II or III, I like the III way more then the II, the reciver on the III has engraving, on the II it looks like a pressed pcs of tin, fitted onto the gun (not a fan of the 687 II). I own the model right before the changed to the II , III, and etc. I have a 687 Silver Pigeon L, (Both in a 12ga, & 20ga) these guns almost the same as the 687 III (engraved look), the 687 II looks alittle cheap for me (agian my opinion)
Thanks for the opinion. I should have stated up front that the gun will be a dedicated sporting clays gun but then I thought it would have been obvious due to all three being "sporting" guns.

I currently have two SP II field grade guns and don't share your opinon of them but then that's what it's all about I guess.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 682 Gold Sporting is just that, a 682 Gold Sporting and not the newer E model.

Thanks for the links.

·
Registered
510 Posts
What's the barrel length?

If it's one of the older 682's with 32" barrels, I'd skip it. (Actually, if any of them are the older Mobil bores with 32" barrels, I'd skip them). The old-bore 32's are (totally IMHO) much too barrel heavy.

If they're 30" barrels, I guess I'd take the older 682. I really don't care for the game scene engraving on any of the Beretta guns other than the SO series. Also, if they're 30" barrels, the newer 687's might be the Optima bores. Again IMHO, the 30" Optimas are too light up front. I prefer a 32" in the Optima-bore and 30" in the older Mobil bore.

Of course, your mileage may vary and you should probably let your body tell you which one to get rather than a bunch of blowhards on the internet. :)

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
JMC said:
The 682 Gold Sporting is just that, a 682 Gold Sporting and not the newer E model.

Thanks for the links.
No problem. Good luck w/ the guns!

PS I own a 687 SP and I purchased it because it was $1000 (it was used) less than Larry's new 682. I love the gun and don't regret the purchase. Take care.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
59Bassman said:
What's the barrel length?

If it's one of the older 682's with 32" barrels, I'd skip it. (Actually, if any of them are the older Mobil bores with 32" barrels, I'd skip them). The old-bore 32's are (totally IMHO) much too barrel heavy.

If they're 30" barrels, I guess I'd take the older 682. I really don't care for the game scene engraving on any of the Beretta guns other than the SO series. Also, if they're 30" barrels, the newer 687's might be the Optima bores. Again IMHO, the 30" Optimas are too light up front. I prefer a 32" in the Optima-bore and 30" in the older Mobil bore.

Of course, your mileage may vary and you should probably let your body tell you which one to get rather than a bunch of blowhards on the internet. :)
The listed gun has 30 3/4" bbls. but which choke tubes it has is not listed. I've sent an e-mail to the seller asking.

FWIW, I've found the information here on Shotgunworld to be very good from a lot of knowledgeable shooters and I appreciate what I have learned from them so far about SC shooting.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As a follow up, the seller of the 682 says he believes the choke tubes to be the Optima tubes.

I originally asked the question that I did for my Brother and my Son-in-Law. I'm going to stay with my 687 EELL Sporting for now for my SC shooting.

My Son-in-Law and I stopped at Cabela's in Hamburg, PA on Friday after shooting a round of SC at LVS Clays. We looked that the following guns:

Browning Citori 525 Sporting, 30" and 32" bbls. Nice.
Beretta SP III Sporting 30" and 32" bbls. Nice (better). Good fit.
Beretta 682 Gold E Sporting 32" bbls. Very, very nice! :wink:

I think the Son-in-Law might go with the 682 Gold E Sporting for his first true SC gun.

·
Registered
6,146 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And yet another update to this saga.

The Son-in-Law bought a 682 Gold E Sporting with 32" bbls. yesterday from http://higradeshooters.com/ for $2795.00 + $35.00 for shipping. This beat the Cabela's price by some $400 and no 6% sales tax to boot.

My Brother is still looking but the wheels are turning. :wink:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.