Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get my husband a really nice shotgun for our twenty fifth wedding anniversary, but I don't know what kind is best. He shoots clay, quail, and pheasants.

Anybody have any suggestions? I'm not looking for just a standard shotgun because he has those already. I'm looking for something really special that will make his eyes bug out and make him worship me for another twenty-five years. :lol:

Any help would be very appreciated. :) Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I don't really know what nice shotguns cost, but I could go up to 5K if that's what it takes. I saw some on Orvis for about that, but I didn't know if they were worth that or not. What range would you say is about right for a really special gun?

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Wife: You should get plenty of replies.. How about a nice English Best Sidelock, You need about $100,000 or so, but I guarantee he'll be pleased and another 25 years is in the bank.. If this wont work, give us a Figure to work with..Bushrod

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
natty bumpo said:
Wife: You should get plenty of replies.. How about a nice English Best Sidelock, You need about $100,000 or so, but I guarantee he'll be pleased and another 25 years is in the bank.. If this wont work, give us a Figure to work with..Bushrod
Are you serious? 100K? Geez. Looks like I'll have to up that 5K a bit to get something nice, huh?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Wow, what a lucky husband he is :) Let's see if we can help. A few questions:

1) Does he mostly do clays or mostly hunts pheasant/quail? How often does he go do either?
2) For $5k you can get a huge, huge assortment of guns. Will this be a surprise? I ask because gun fit is really important with shotguns, and unless you hypnotize him and take him someplace to try the guns out for fit, you may need the stock fitted after he gets his present.

You asked what range would make for a really special present, and the answer is that there is no range. The price tag is irrelevant, the fact that you are going to be supporting his pasttime in such a way is already really special. If my wife bought me a Benelli SuperNova ($380) for our anniversary I'd probably cry. Again, price is irrelevant.

I really like the Caesar Guerini guns, you can go to www.gueriniusa.com and request a catalog and see how beautiful their guns are. The Woodlander is a very nice upland gun, and will run about $2600. The Magnus has a different look, and will run about $3500. Finally, the Maxum has some of the most beautiful engraving I've ever seen in person, and is at the top of your price range, at $4900. If I ever win the lotto I'm getting the sporting version. Here are links to the website for each gun.

http://www.gueriniusa.com/gun_models/woodlander/Woodlander.shtml
http://www.gueriniusa.com/gun_models/magnus/Magnus.shtml
http://www.gueriniusa.com/gun_models/maxum/Maxum.shtml

Cameron[/url]

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Zeede said:
Wow, what a lucky husband he is :) Let's see if we can help. A few questions:

1) Does he mostly do clays or mostly hunts pheasant/quail? How often does he go do either?
2) For $5k you can get a huge, huge assortment of guns. Will this be a surprise? I ask because gun fit is really important with shotguns, and unless you hypnotize him and take him someplace to try the guns out for fit, you may need the stock fitted after he gets his present.

You asked what range would make for a really special present, and the answer is that there is no range. The price tag is irrelevant, the fact that you are going to be supporting his pasttime in such a way is already really special.

I really like the Caesar Guerini guns, you can go to www.gueriniusa.com and request a catalog and see how beautiful their guns are. The Woodlander is a very nice upland gun, and will run about $2600.

Cameron
He hunts pheasant/quail four or five times a year, but he's just started getting into going to the clubs to shoot clay. I've shot clay with him and I know he likes it and is good at it.

I've always supported his activities. He goes on trips to hunt various animals and it's a great way for him to relax and spend time with his friends. I used to go deer hunting with him and help him on his trapline, but then once I had kids, I stayed home. But we still fish together a lot. :) And our four girls love to fish, too. They've helped him trap, but none of them were into hunting. He works very, very hard, so I'm all for him taking time to enjoy himself with his hobbies and I join him when I can.

Thanks for your suggestion. I'll check out that website.

Judy

·
Registered
536 Posts
What kind of shotguns does he already have? Perhaps he's partial to one particular type of action. Maybe he doesn't like side-by-sides, or can't shoot well them. Suppose he's a dedicated semi-auto man. Addtionally, would you consider adopting a sixty year-old with just a few bad habits?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HuntNshoot said:
What kind of shotguns does he already have? Perhaps he's partial to one particular type of action. Maybe he doesn't like side-by-sides, or can't shoot well them. Suppose he's a dedicated semi-auto man. Addtionally, would you consider adopting a sixty year-old with just a few bad habits?
He has two great friends that he shoots with. I could call them and ask what kind he uses and what they recommend.

I'd have to know what those bad habits are and how you feel about warming up my cold feet on a winter night. :lol:

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
My wife tolerates my guns (I only have two), and let's leave it at that.

Okay, I asked how often he shoots because if you only hunt, the gun does not need to be as durable. He might not shoot 200 rounds in a year, whereas I shoot almost that much in every trip to the range. I go every week, sometimes twice a week, so my needs are different. He needs a gun that is light enough to schlep around the woods with, I need a heavy one to soak up recoil. Then again, I've never gone hunting and probably never will.

That said, the Guerinis I mentioned, while listed as hunting models, are durable enough to withstand the rigours of target shooting. For Guerini at least, the difference is more in the stocks. The same goes for the other major manufacturers. Browning's high end guns are all target models, Beretta as well.

I don't know what your husband prefers, but the Guerinis are very stunning for that price range, best customer service in the industry, and a great value.

Cameron

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
There are several kinds of Clays to shoot... with different guns best in each one. Does he shoot Sporting Clays, or Skeet, or perhaps Trap?

Once you know the game, it is less difficult to pick a gun.

bd

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for your two cents. :) No, more expensive isn't always better, especially if you're just paying for a brand name.

I guess I'll have to do some investigating and see what he uses now and what his friends who shoot with him think he would like. Then I'll use that info along with what you guys have suggested and see what I can find.

I know fit is important. Can I buy a gun and give it to him and then have him take it back for the fit?

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
wifeofhunter said:
I'll have to do some investigating and see what he uses now and what his friends who shoot with him think he would like. Then I'll use that info along with what you guys have suggested and see what I can find.
There you go! His friends likely already know what type, maybe even down to the model he wants, or one that he only dreams about, but would never buy for himself.

Then these guys might be able to help you find it.

Clyde

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
wifeofhunter said:
I know fit is important. Can I buy a gun and give it to him and then have him take it back for the fit?
Yes. I don't know what part of the world you're in, but you can definitely have the gun modified after the sale.

Cameron

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Yo, WOH!

What you are proposing to do is simply wonderful - my wife did that a few years ago when I was getting back into shooting and every time I look at that gun I tear up.

You thought of an Orvis. That's a very good place to start - I don't know where you are, but the Orvis gun room people at their Manchester VT flagship store are very knowledgeable and HONEST!

Someone suggested an Arrieta. Excellent!

Take a look at the "sexy shotgun" thread of a few days ago. Every gun that made it was a side-by-side and there weren't too many arguments about it. Arrieta was one of them.

You can get a used English Best from one of the major names for about $30-40k, but your 5k (or a tad more) will get you a wonderful Arrieta and they truly are a sexy gun! Guys will drool all over it and when they know how he got it they will drool even more!

If you go the Orvis route, you might work a deal with John to take a gun on approval - something for under the tree - and have your husband pick out the final one. He will want to get fitted properly if he is getting such a splendid treat! Orvis at Manchester can do the whole thing on site. (I'm not pushing Orvis, but I bought a Pedro Arrizabalaga from them and they were very good and very fair)

Again, browsing the "sex and guns" (or whatever the thread was called) will tell you a lot about what makes a gun special.

We all know what makes you special! (actually, that has to be both of you!)

·
Registered
596 Posts
wifeofhunter said:
Thanks for your two cents. :) No, more expensive isn't always better, especially if you're just paying for a brand name.

I guess I'll have to do some investigating and see what he uses now and what his friends who shoot with him think he would like. Then I'll use that info along with what you guys have suggested and see what I can find.

If he hunts pheasant and quail mostly, here is what I would try to guide my wife to for a possible present:

http://www.joeletchenguns.com/etchencustom.htm

Scroll down till you get to the 2 Barrel Set, 20 gauge and 28 ***** info.

There are 2 versions of these guns. One is for hunting mainly, 28" barrels, and the other is a sporting version with different ribs and 30 " barrels.

The other suggestion of the Guerini's are also good.

Mike Poorman :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
323 Posts
Here is an idea if you can get one of your husbands friends to meet him at a gunshop (say under the guise that said friend is thinking of getting a new gun) your husband can be handling a lot of different guns and if he is like 99% of the shooters I know he will tell said friend what he likes in the guns he is looking at?
just a thought

·
Registered
670 Posts
The first question is definitely side-by-side or over/under barrels.

In either case, you can get him a very nice gun for $5000.

If you get him a new Orvis gun they will custom fit it to him. You will pay a little more for the Orvis name, but you get a little more service too.

Also, Orvis' over/unders are Cesar Guerini's and their SXS's are Arrieta, so you will be getting the brands that several have already suggested here.

But, guns are hard to pick for someone else. You can't even necessarily count on his friends to know what he would want most. I would try to trick him into telling you what he would want if he could have nay gun. Barring that, sending him as a surprise to get fitted by Orvis with a $5000 check for a new gun is not a bad idea. (Just check and make sure their guns are in that range - I haven't checked in a while.)

1 - 20 of 67 Posts