Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a Mossburg 500 for 2 years and i sold it because i didnt like the pattern that it got when I used it deer hunting. Here in La. we can run deer with dogs. I shot a spike buck at about 25 yds with a full choke with 2 3/4" # 1 buckshot and I only found 9 pellets when I cleaned the deer. A friend that hunts in my hunting club has an old Sears J.C. Higgins that has the cuts compensator on the end he has hit deer easily at 60 or more yds and has plenty of buckshots in them everytime. I recently went out and bought a Remington 870 express for the upcomming season. My question now is should i try to move up to a extra full or a super full choke tube to increase my range. And if so can # 4 or # 1 Buckshots be shot with a extra full choke. I need some helpful info from some of you more experienced shotgun hunters. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I have read somewhere that overly tight chokes can give bad patterns with buckshot, although I am not sure of the source. Do you know what constriction your pal with the Cutts was using?

·
Premium Member
19,861 Posts
Considering the lack of size of those little deer in Louisiana, it's a wonder the buck didn't run THROUGH your pattern untouched. :p Just kidding. :lol:

Seriously, though, I would pattern your present gun and load at 25 yards. It is quite possible that you missed the deer with part of the pattern which may not be the gun's fault at all. Large size shot generally doesn't do well with a real tight choke. I personally think that full choke is more than enough choke for your use.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
pumper said:
I have read somewhere that overly tight chokes can give bad patterns with buckshot, although I am not sure of the source. Do you know what constriction your pal with the Cutts was using?
Try using modified. I used to think full gave a tighter pattern but then I learned it did the opposite.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for your replies....I actually called my friend up and he told me that his old J. C. Higgins actually is modified. So i guess there is truth to the fact that the tighter the choke the less the pattern.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Buck Shot and All........If you start reloading buckshot , let me know. What the group is saying about the common over-choke problem is right on the money. We have found Improved Cylinder to Modified seems to pattern best with factory loads, of these #1's seem best. We also use the Remington Express and handloaded buckshot. There are some exceptions to the rule though with handloaded buckshot.....one is to stack the #00 & #0 in a 2 stack instead of the usuall 3 stack.....then buffer the load. Doing this will keep them from deforming in tighter chokes. So far the very best high antimony buckshot we have found comes from Ballistic Products Inc. One other nice thing about that Remington and Wally Mart is you can pull the choke tubes off the rack for about $15.00. Some of my friends buy a few, put a brake cylinder hone in a drill press, inside polish and home them some, a test for patterns. Best Regards, James

·
Registered
20 Posts
Had similar experience,I shoot Rem. 870 Express Super Magnum 3 1/2".I bought a "Wad-Wizard" Supreme choke from www.wadwizard.com .It made a 100% difference in patterns,also,try premium copperplated buckshot.I shoot 3 1/2" Federal Premium copperplated loads with 18 pellets and I am putting 15 pellets in a 30" circle at 60 yards

1 - 9 of 9 Posts