Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have very little experience with autoloaders, being pretty much a two piper all my life. I have a couple of pumps and an old Remington 11-48 in my collection, but a friend of mine has a Beretta 390 for sale and I was wondering what you could tell me about them. What are the differences (if any) between the 390 and the 391?

Thanks,

Frank

·
Registered
13,110 Posts
The 390 is a very good gun. They have a different gas system from the AL391. Their forearm is wider than the AL391's. Most 390's had the angled receiver but not all. The AL391 only has a rounder reveiver. They both hold four rounds total and can't take an extension. Both have automatic magazine cutoff's with cartridge release buttons. Both models have bolt lock levers on the left side of the receiver except for the 390 from WalMart.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Frank,
First I like to point out, I'm just a fancier, not an expert.
Do a search on topic 390 vs 391, there are many post related to these. I have both, and my 390 is the Silver Millard model and I like the higher hump on that receiver. They both has the same gas/ piston system, the advantage of the 391 is factory backbore and some have the optima chokes, but in the real world I don't see any benifit in the performance. In fact, my 390 patterns better in IC or SK. Comparing the two I definately believe my 390 has better craftsmanship than the 391, I see lots of tooling marks are left on the bold of my 391 and the metal surface is not as well prepared before the blueing. Also,
the trigger group of my 390 is machined cast aloy compare to the high density plastic injection molding on the 391.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.