Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd heard the cost of primers was going up in 2006 but I didn't think it would take a trip to the moon.

Out of curiosity while I was ordering some wads from Recob's, I asked what they were getting for a case of Winchester 209s now.

$115 !!! :shock:

I urge you: Just don't buy the damned things!

Buy Fiocchis.

Recob's September 2005 price sheet listed Winchester 209s at $99.99 per case and Fiocchis at $82.95.

In December, I didn't know the Fiocchi price had gone up to $86.95 and Recob's let me have two cases of Fiocchis at $82.95. Nice folks. :lol:

I got that order, along with a November price sheet, which now listed Winchester primers at $109.95 a case. Remingtons were still $99.95 and Fiocchis still $86.95.

It was just yesterday when I learned Winchester primers are now $115 per case.

Forgot to ask about Remingtons but Fiocchis were still $86.95.

In the meantime, I'd found a source for Fiocchis at about $83 a case, including the hazmat ripoff and shipping.

I bought eight cases of those. So along with the original two cases of Fiocchis, plus four cases of W209s I got at a gun show a good while back at a total $99 a case, I'm pretty well stocked up on primers.

I'm into my second thousand of Fiocchi 616s (209) now and have noticed absolutely no difference from a W209. They're a normal size and do not stretch the primer pocket, as do some other imports, so that a Remington or Winchester will be loose in it afterwards, nor do they seem to perform any differently.

I'm using the Fiocchis for 12, 20 and 28 and the Winchesters for .410. But if I had to I'd have no compunction about using the Fiocchis for .410.

Do what you like, but as for me if I run out of primers before I die, any primers I buy in the future will be Fiocchis.

·
Administrator
23,926 Posts
Just trust me on that one. :oops:

Sounds like a line that I would use on a old girlfriend, heh heh!

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
I too have switched to the Fiocchi primers for the same reason. Price. I cannot see paying over 25% more for the other Brand name primers. To date and many many 1,000's of Fiocchi's primers I have yet to have one not spark the powder.

·
Banned
8,378 Posts
Well thats it. Next time I`m at the place I buy my PMC`s I`m going to get about 5 more cases. They are currently 75 bucks plus 7% tax. Looks like I`m going to have to stock up on shot too from the way it looks. No new shooters isn`t going to doom clay sports...price is.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Can one substitute the Fiocchi for the Winchester without altering recipies? I don't care much for gouging either.

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
Yup, me too. Doesn't make it right, but I've not blown up any of my cheapo shotguns yet! Well, I guess I don't have any cheapo shotguns, maybe that's why they haven't blown up?? I've read that they are about like CCI mag primers and closely similar to the Fed 209As. MY experience doesn't support that, but I'm not White's Lab either. Maybe they ARE hotter? But they work very well for me, wish I had more.

BP

·
Registered
325 Posts
I think that 616 is a great primer,, I have never had a bad one,

Sadly I only have 1000 left and am looking,, They were easy to get when I lived in Iowa, Here in Texas they say "what Kind "?????

I will keep looking, Hate to pay that $$$$ Haz fee for freighting them

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hoashooter said:
Cabela's 2006 reloading catalog list the Clays family of powder at $160 per 8 lb plus HAZ-MAT AND shipping :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Cabela's is no benchmark for component prices. Anyone would have to be naive or just nuts to even consider getting components from either Cabela's or Bass Pro Shops.

One of the best price benchmarks is Recob's Target Shop -- where, for example, 8 lbs. of Hodgdon Clays is $96,95, plus hazmat and shipping.

Or...

Powder Valley (8 lbs. Clays -- $96.95) BTW: They still have W209 primers listed on their website at $19.50 per thousand for 5,000 and $19 per M for 25,000. But some of these website prices don't always get updated quickly.

Gamaliel Shooting Supply (8 lbs. Clays -- $99.95)

MidwayUSA is a reasonably priced and well-stocked source for equipment, but NOT compoinents, unless you're looking for metallic. They often have good deals and specials on bullets.

And there are some others -- but NOT Cabela's or Bass Pro Shops.

I'd quit reloading before I'd pay their absurd prices.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.