Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in a modern skeet comp the other day and had a terrible time when the high four and H5 was shooting real high. I just couldn't seem to figure out the shot. More lead? Less lead? In regular skeet I have the shot down most of the time. But that shot really nailed me. I'm wondering if there's a trick to it? I know I don't take my H4 or H5 early enough anyway and I'm wondering if shooting it past the stake in modern is where I made my biggest mistake. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
8,597 Posts
I'm not familiar with "modern skeet" but I assume from your post that it is shot from variable height traps. When a variable height skeet trap throws an exceptionally high bird, the bird's speed is somewhat slower than a bird thrown level or lower. When it gets past the stake, it is slower yet, a dying bird, and the angle at station 4 becomes less as it becomes an outgoer rather than a crossing bird. An extremely high 4 past the stake should require very little lead if your gun speed is normal. An extremely high 5 would be flying quite a bit slower than a level high five and require much less lead than a low screamer from the same high 5 station.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Modern skeet?? Are you shooting off wobble type traps?

Shooting just plain old regular skeet this week end we had one field that was just terrible....sometimes the high was way high, sometimes it was way slow, and other times it was a screaming fast ball....the low house was no better throwing lots of broken targets and double targets. I finally just quit shooting at the irregular targets. Passed on the 30' high houses and the 4' high slow low houses. If was clearly an illegal target, I saved my shot. The "I wonder what is going to happen now" added an interesting element to the game...frankly one that I did not like.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In modern skeet the traps oscillate so you never know when you say "pull" if the throw will be low or high or in between. Some of the rules are different as well. The second single is a report single and there is no option shot. The last two shots are a high and low simo facing the low house.

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
My guess is that you were shooting below the target. This is a common target in sporting clays and you have to be in front and above it along the path of the target as long as the target is climbing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.