Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an A300 with a modified choke which I inherited a few years ago. It has not had very many rounds put through it. I plan on using it to shoot Sporting Clays and to hunt Pheasant.

I have a few questions about this gun:

1.) It does not eject light target loads consistently. What can I do about this?
2.) Assuming there is something I can do for #1 what impact will it have on hunting loads?
3.) I know that this gun evolved into the 301/302/303/304. Are there any features of these guns which can/should be retrofitted to the A300?

Thanks in advance,

Scott

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
You've found the one disadvantage to the 300 series guns as opposed to the newer 390/391.

The 3" 300 series guns will not always eject light loads consistently. They are not made with the gas compensating system of the 390/391. The easy fix to this is to enlarge the gas ports in the barrel. However, this will have an effect on shooting heavier, hunting loads. The enlarged ports will vent more gas into the action and cycle it faster and harder with heavier loads. This will cause the gun to beat itself to death and cause unnecessary parts breakage.

So, my suggestion, if you want to keep this gun, would be to try and find a 2-3/4" barrel that you can use for your sporting clays and use the current set-up for hunting. Or buy another gun for sporting clays or trade the 300 for a gun that will shoot everything to fit your needs.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bopper:

Thanks for the information. My A300 is not a 3" gun. Do the 2 3/4 also have this issue?

I have been loking for another barrel for this gun. I have seen the A301, 302 and 303 barrels listed. I assume that the A300 is the same. However, I have not confirmed this.

bopper said:
You've found the one disadvantage to the 300 series guns as opposed to the newer 390/391.

The 3" 300 series guns will not always eject light loads consistently. They are not made with the gas compensating system of the 390/391. The easy fix to this is to enlarge the gas ports in the barrel. However, this will have an effect on shooting heavier, hunting loads. The enlarged ports will vent more gas into the action and cycle it faster and harder with heavier loads. This will cause the gun to beat itself to death and cause unnecessary parts breakage.

So, my suggestion, if you want to keep this gun, would be to try and find a 2-3/4" barrel that you can use for your sporting clays and use the current set-up for hunting. Or buy another gun for sporting clays or trade the 300 for a gun that will shoot everything to fit your needs.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
The 2-3/4" guns should not be as picky about light loads. Give the gun a good cleaning and keep the piston and piston rod moist with BreakFree CLP (this specific brand) while shooting. That might fix things.

Sorry, but I'm not sure about 301-303 barrels fitting the 300. Contact Rich Cole (http://www.colegun.com) and ask him. He's the Beretta expert and should be able to give you the answer.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I have a 3" A302 that I had Ballistic Specialties opened the gas ports just enough so that I could consistently cycle factory 3 dram loads. I also hunt pheasants with heavier 1 1/4 oz loads for probably 8 years now and have had no abnormal wear. I did replace the action spring in the stock though just to make sure that a weak spring would not be an issue.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I will give your suggestions a try.

bopper said:
The 2-3/4" guns should not be as picky about light loads. Give the gun a good cleaning and keep the piston and piston rod moist with BreakFree CLP (this specific brand) while shooting. That might fix things.

Sorry, but I'm not sure about 301-303 barrels fitting the 300. Contact Rich Cole (http://www.colegun.com) and ask him. He's the Beretta expert and should be able to give you the answer.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. I will try this if the other suggestions do not work out.

birdshooter said:
I have a 3" A302 that I had Ballistic Specialties opened the gas ports just enough so that I could consistently cycle factory 3 dram loads. I also hunt pheasants with heavier 1 1/4 oz loads for probably 8 years now and have had no abnormal wear. I did replace the action spring in the stock though just to make sure that a weak spring would not be an issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.