Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
love some of the older Berettas but this gun has some issues.( as most newer model berettas ) i would recommend going with a Benelli

What issues?
I have heard of a couple of guys who have experienced trigger group/hammer brace problems on the 12 gauge Ultima's...and according to their complaints, Beretta was aware of it and they made it right with new trigger groups from Coles Gunworks (Beretta Authorized Repair shop). No Ultima 20 gauge problems that I have seen. The gun comes with a one year factory warranty that can be extended for an additional two years by submitting a form on the beretta website. I have a 20 gauge Ultima and it's a lot of gun for only $750...I say, buy with confidence.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I wish they would have had this gun about 4 years ago when I bought my Mossberg SA-20. Then again, I saved about $250 or so and the Mossberg has functioned flawlessly so maybe I should just be happy with what I got. A buddy of mine had bought a Beretta A300 12 gauge and I really liked it but wanted a 20 gauge version. The closest I could find new was the Mossberg. I would have bought the Beretta A300 Ultima had it been available then. The A400s were a bit more pricey than I was wanting to spend hence the Mossberg. But I do like the looks of the gun pictured above.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I wish they would have had this gun about 4 years ago when I bought my Mossberg SA-20. Then again, I saved about $250 or so and the Mossberg has functioned flawlessly so maybe I should just be happy with what I got. A buddy of mine had bought a Beretta A300 12 gauge and I really liked it but wanted a 20 gauge version. The closest I could find new was the Mossberg. I would have bought the Beretta A300 Ultima had it been available then. The A400s were a bit more pricey than I was wanting to spend hence the Mossberg. But I do like the looks of the gun pictured above.
Double20, how light of a load will your Mossberg cycle reliably? Ever use 3/4 oz. reloads? 7/8 oz. 1200 fps reloads or factory? Did it need a break in period?

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Double20, how light of a load will your Mossberg cycle reliably? Ever use 3/4 oz. reloads? 7/8 oz. 1200 fps reloads or factory? Did it need a break in period?
I have shot both factory and reloads 7/8 ounce at 1200 fps with no issues. I think I put a box of 1 ounce loads through it to start and then went to the 7/8 ounce with no issues. I haven't tried anything lighter than the 7/8 ounce at 1200 fps. I have shot some different turkey loads through it and they did fine as well. The heaviest was Federal Heavyweight 3" 1 1/2 ounces of #7 shot. Some 3" 1 1/4 ounce lead loads as well. Like I said, so far it has digested all of that without fail.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just bought the A300 ultima yesterday in 20 gauge, I actually bought it just for skeet. I have been using the same Remington 11-87 for the past 29 yrs for everything but its getting old and tired and i figured it was time to change. I went through a lot of time and thought before my purchase. I looked at everything i could but the gun just feels great. I also plan on using this for hunting, sporting clays. its also my first 20 gauge in 29 years.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
I had one and I did shoot 3/4 oz. reloads through it after a break in period. It did reliably cycle with 3/4 oz and hot 7/8 data.

·
Registered
303 Posts
It’s a pretty heavy gun as far as new 20ga SA shotguns go. Make sure you handle one before you buy it. The upside to the weight is that it will recoil less than the lighter guns but my A400 20ga is light perfectly balanced and light recoiling, it’s beautiful to boot.

·
Registered
34 Posts
brand new gun, nice weather and i have to work. cant wait for the weekend to hit the skeet field with it. never owned a beretta mostly remingtons, anything i should look for for you other a300 owners. this gun is nice thou with a good fit. picking up a skeet choke this saturday also.

·
Registered
34 Posts
brand new gun, nice weather and i have to work. cant wait for the weekend to hit the skeet field with it. never owned a beretta mostly remingtons, anything i should look for for you other a300 owners. this gun is nice thou with a good fit. picking up a skeet choke this saturday also.
Isn’t that the way it always works?

I took mine apart and cleaned some of the excessive lube out. I re-lubed it gently and that was it. I also adjusted the drop and LoP, so my young son could shoot it. I put a box of higher velocity loads through it first in case there were any parts needing a break in. The next two boxes were low power target loads. All were perfect!

I can’t wait to get back to the skeet field on Saturday.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I just purchased a 20 gauge A300 Ultima this evening. I got home with it, cleaned the grease out of it, lubed it, and put 6 rounds of 7/8oz 7.5shot 1200fps target loads through it just to see if it would cycle the light loads. It cycled all 6 and the bolt locked back on the third shot both times.

It took about 75 rounds for my daughter’s compact SX4 to cycle reliably, and about 50 rounds for my son’s compact Sa-08 to cycle reliably. I’ll put more rounds through it this weekend, but I’m thoroughly impressed with it so far.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts