Shotgun Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
brand new gun, nice weather and i have to work. cant wait for the weekend to hit the skeet field with it. never owned a beretta mostly remingtons, anything i should look for for you other a300 owners. this gun is nice thou with a good fit. picking up a skeet choke this saturday also.
Remove the packing grease and re-lube IAW the owners manual...I prefer CLP on my beretta's, but most any quality gun oil will do...I put CLP on the bolt assembly, bolt rails inside the receiver, and trigger assembly.

Please note the manual advises to run the piston and piston hanger dry...no lube required...

One other caution...use thumb and forefinger to "pinch" the piston ring closed when inserting the piston into the piston hanger BEFORE remounting the barrel onto the receiver group...this prevents the piston ring from being deformed (a deformed piston ring will negatively affect normal gun function).

·
Registered
34 Posts
thanks guys, i did clean most of the lube out but didnt pull the trigger assembly yet. i need to research the full disassembly first.
The trigger group pops out by punching out a single pin. It’s very easy. The links on the back of the bolt are MUCH easier to put into the plunger with the trigger out of the way. Let us know if you have questions.

·
Registered
34 Posts
well went to the skeet range today, shot 2 rounds. gotta get use to the gun, i have been shooting an 8lb 12ga for 29 yrs not a 6.5lb 20, lol. a bit of a difference. 18 and 20 out of 25, not bad for the first outing. i did have about 4 or 5 fte, or stove pipes. i just completly disassembled the a300 and cleaned everything up. light federal loads that i find very dirty. I think the gun is just needs to be shot more. will be hitting the field on thursday for pheasant, hopefully can get a few heavier rounds through it.

·
Registered
367 Posts
well went to the skeet range today, shot 2 rounds. gotta get use to the gun, i have been shooting an 8lb 12ga for 29 yrs not a 6.5lb 20, lol. a bit of a difference. 18 and 20 out of 25, not bad for the first outing. i did have about 4 or 5 fte, or stove pipes. i just completly disassembled the a300 and cleaned everything up. light federal loads that i find very dirty. I think the gun is just needs to be shot more. will be hitting the field on thursday for pheasant, hopefully can get a few heavier rounds through it.
Did you clean the packing grease out of it before taking it to the range? There is a break in period. Usually takes 100 rounds or so. I made the mistake of not cleaning my A300 outlander before shooting it for the first time and had a few cycling issues. That was 4 years ago and it hasn’t had a failure since. I’ve only had one fte with my 20 gauge A300 Ultima.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I wiped down the mag tube and easy stuff, never pulled the bolt or trigger assembly, did that today after the issue which i am sure was related to me not fully cleaning it. Plus the federal promo loads where dirty to me. I completely took the gun apart and used clp on it. I will be pheasant hunting on thursday and skeet shooting on sunday, might be able to hit the sporting clays on friday, that should help with the break in.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I wiped down the mag tube and easy stuff, never pulled the bolt or trigger assembly, did that today after the issue which i am sure was related to me not fully cleaning it. Plus the federal promo loads where dirty to me. I completely took the gun apart and used clp on it. I will be pheasant hunting on thursday and skeet shooting on sunday, might be able to hit the sporting clays on friday, that should help with the break in.
I have been shooting the cheap federal field & target loads through mine and it has cycled every round of those. The only failure I experienced was 1 Winchester universal. Now that you’ve cleaned the grease out of the receiver and off the bolt and put CLP on it, you shouldn’t experience cycling issues. Once it’s broken in, you’ll find that the A300 isn’t picky with ammo. No matter how dirty it shoots. My 20 gauge silver mallard cycled everything, and it has a very similar gas system.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I believe you guys, i am not upset or discouraged about my purchase. Gun is awesome, just used to my old one. Never owned a beretta before, so a learning curve. I also just took off the Kick Off, my old gun was 14 lop, this is over that with the kick off, i replaced it with just the short spacer and recoil pad, just under 14 lop, but i always new i was shooting a little long anyways. Ill give it a try and see how it does, especially knowing with wearing a heavier jacket its a little easier to mount.

·
Registered
34 Posts
also the federal shells are the clay and field ones. I like federal shells just these seem to leave unburnt powder in my receiver.maybe i am just noticing something different due to the color of my receiver vs the black one i never saw it on.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I believe you guys, i am not upset or discouraged about my purchase. Gun is awesome, just used to my old one. Never owned a beretta before, so a learning curve. I also just took off the Kick Off, my old gun was 14 lop, this is over that with the kick off, i replaced it with just the short spacer and recoil pad, just under 14 lop, but i always new i was shooting a little long anyways. Ill give it a try and see how it does, especially knowing with wearing a heavier jacket its a little easier to mount.
Some members have mentioned removing the kickoff and using other pads like limbsaver, or falcon strike. One of those may give the A300 enough to make the LOP 14”. I’ve never used an aftermarket pad, but I’m sure there are some on here who can give you great insight on them.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Some members have mentioned removing the kickoff and using other pads like limbsaver, or falcon strike. One of those may give the A300 enough to make the LOP 14”. I’ve never used an aftermarket pad, but I’m sure there are some on here who can give you great insight on them.
I am not a fan of OEM Beretta recoil pads…too hard and don’t allieviate recoil…so I replace them with Kick-Eez pads which do a great job with soaking up recoil. The pre fit kick-eez model KZ-109 is a near perfect fit to the A300 Ultima…believe I ordered mine from midwayusa.com

·
Registered
367 Posts
I am not a fan of OEM Beretta recoil pads…too hard and don’t allieviate recoil…so I replace them with Kick-Eez pads which do a great job with soaking up recoil. The pre fit kick-eez model KZ-109 is a near perfect fit to the A300 Ultima…believe I ordered mine from midwayusa.com
Does it change the LOP much? I may purchase one for my 20 gauge to help my gf with felt recoil from waterfowl loads. She can’t handle a LOP much longer than 13.25” though

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for the tip!!!

·
Registered
915 Posts
Does it change the LOP much? I may purchase one for my 20 gauge to help my gf with felt recoil from waterfowl loads. She can’t handle a LOP much longer than 13.25” though
The KZ-109 is a little over 1” thick…you can play with the Ultima LOP by using the .5” and 1” spacers along with the kick-off or non kick-off assembly’s

·
Registered
34 Posts
Got back from from Thanksgiving day hunt and glad to report that I got my limit of pheasant, gun was awesome, the 20 gauge knocked them down with authority coupled with copper plated 6s. It was a beautiful morning sharing this day with my ten year old and showing him what its all about. He has been with me the prior 2 Thanksgiving but we had no luck, so to have him and the new gun and everything come together like it did was pure magic.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Got back from from Thanksgiving day hunt and glad to report that I got my limit of pheasant, gun was awesome, the 20 gauge knocked them down with authority coupled with copper plated 6s. It was a beautiful morning sharing this day with my ten year old and showing him what its all about. He has been with me the prior 2 Thanksgiving but we had no luck, so to have him and the new gun and everything come together like it did was pure magic.
Wow! Your report reads like a Norman Rockwell painting. Congrats and Happy Thanksgiving!

21 - 40 of 40 Posts