Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will buy one or the other this week and I wonder what are your ideas. I do not love the adjustable gas system on the spr453. I have read on these forums that the beretta is a excellent gun. I know the spr453 is a good gun also. Another question...Is it the 390 beretta that has the hump on the receiver?? The Walmart near me still has some of these.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
The Beretta is the better made gun but try it for fit before you jump into it. No, I don't think the Beretta has the hump, personaly,I don't like the shape of the stock, but it is a fine gun...Jack

·
Registered
13,098 Posts
Frank Lopez wrote:

The A390 has a hump (though not as pronounced as the Browning A5 or Remington Model 11). The A391 and the A3901 do not have a hump, but are rounded, like the 1100.
That would be correct, except some of the older target 390's also had rounded receivers. The 390 Wal Mart comes with an angled receiver.

The Wal Mart 390 is a very good value. It's well made and reliable. They are a good choice for all around use. They are light enough for all day upland hunts. They cycle a wide range of loads including light loads for target shooting.

·
Registered
655 Posts
The SPR453 isnt a big ??? at all. People have been very happy with the Baikal MP153 and this SPR453 is the exact same gun but just with the Remington name on it. They are good guns and a hell of a value.

To me these two guns are not really in the same category though. I look at the SPR453 as more of a hunting and waterfowling gun. Since it has a 3.5" chamber is pretty versitile. While the berretta just has the 3" chamber. To me it makes the 453 very attractive for the price. Not many 3.5" chamber guns less then $800 and many over $1000.

I'm a believer in that you get what you pay for but I really do think the 453 is probably one of the best values for the money that you can find.

As far as what this guy should get I would say it really depends on what he wants to us it for. If it's mostly clays then the beretta would probably be the better gun.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will be hunting ducks mostly and doves a little. I know everyone thinks that a 3.5 mag. is not needed but I would like to have one. That is why I am probably going to get the spr453 I think. I have shot pumps for many years and then got out of hunting for the last few years (due to wife,exwife now). I bought a new 870 mag this year and went duck hunting and after 6 shells I was not happy. It is a great gun but I did not care for the pump action. I guess I have grown out of it. That is why I am going to buy a automatic. I had a Rem 1100 many years ago before I got into pump action shotguns. I sold it to a friend. That was the biggest mistake I have ever made. I guess live and learn. Thanks for all your ideas and comments!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
if you can live without 3.5's then i would go with the beretta. in the 4 years ive had my gun ive never had an action related jam and its probably at around 1000 rounds. its gone 300 rounds of the cheap trap shells before a cleaning too. i would recomend it to anyone.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The SPR453 is IMO the best value autoloader shotgun out there. As for the Gas adjuster I've never touched mine. It's all in the first 100 rounds of break in that's important. You won't be disapointed. Plus you'll have money left over for shells.

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
I think there's a lot more quality relative to price in the Beretta. I would check out the lover's forums and see if the reported problems are more with one gun than the other. Also bear in mind what the resale would be like for either gun. The need or lack thereof for a break-in period just to assure that a gun functions might be a quality indicator. The Beretta action is proven over time on sporting, trap and skeet fields with many of them going trouble free for a long long time. The other gun is not found on target fields with any measurable degree of regular use. Good luck.

·
Registered
191 Posts
SS,
The resale on this gun is very good. The SPR is very hard to find and when they go on gunbroker they sell for good money. The break in is for 2 3/4in 1oz target load shells without touching the gas adjustment. I had to break my Benelli SBE II in to cycle light loads so it must be junk also.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Lark-o said:
if you can live without 3.5's then i would go with the beretta. in the 4 years ive had my gun ive never had an action related jam and its probably at around 1000 rounds. its gone 300 rounds of the cheap trap shells before a cleaning too. i would recomend it to anyone.
I know my 391 has went 1500 round and still going until it jams with out cleaning it I'll keepeveryone posted. But the 390 I have is also a sweet shooter I have went about 1000 rounds before cleaning the 390. No real jams in either.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
You owe it to yourself to take a look at the Mossberg 930, I feel it is the best 3" autoloader on the market for under $600, and they are running around $400-$450 retail!!!

Excellent reliability, NO break-in required, they balance well, & they're made in the USA...

Smitty

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
hutchtaz135,

Did I say that your pet autoloaders are junk? No, you did.

All I said that is the Beretta is a better gun for a variety of reasons. If you don't agree, well then you don't agree. Life is a full of choices. Some are better than others.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Both these firearms will get the job done dependably well. The answer to this question shakes down to nothing more then personal preference and what you want to spend. I went with the Baikal MP153 (Same firearm as the SPR453) out of curiosity sake since CDNN was selling the firearm for $269 back in 2003. This magnum semi-auto surprisingly has been the most shotgun for the money I have ever purchased. The Beretta 390 has an outstanding track record as well. You really can't go wrong with either of these shotguns for the money in my opinion. You could have both these shotguns and ammunition to hunt this year for the price I paid for a Beretta 391 Extrema a couple years ago...:lol:

·
Registered
655 Posts
jds said:
Both these firearms will get the job done dependably well. The answer to this question shakes down to nothing more then personal preference and what you want to spend. I went with the Baikal MP153 (Same firearm as the SPR453) out of curiosity sake since CDNN was selling the firearm for $269 back in 2003. This magnum semi-auto surprisingly has been the most shotgun for the money I have ever purchased. The Beretta 390 has an outstanding track record as well. You really can't go wrong with either of these shotguns for the money in my opinion. You could have both these shotguns and ammunition to hunt this year for the price I paid for a Beretta 391 Extrema a couple years ago...:lol:
What's crazy is the MP153 might be the only gun that someone might have bought new or even used and may be able to sell for more than what they bought it for.

I really don't understand why they are not $600-800 guns...and even if they were I'd probably still be looking at one in that range for a 3.5" waterfowling gun.

Coming from a guy that also has a SBE II that I'm in love with...but the MP153 is a hell of a gun for the money.

·
Registered
692 Posts
MarcstarI really don't understand why they are not $600-800 guns...[/quote said:
We pay around $600 + taxes for the MP-153 (SPR-453) here in Canada.

You Americans are lucky...but with the weakening US Dollar expect price increases soon on all imported guns.

Good time to purchase a shotgun right now.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Tozman said:
MarcstarI really don't understand why they are not $600-800 guns...[/quote:1087mipx said:
We pay around $600 + taxes for the MP-153 (SPR-453) here in Canada.

You Americans are lucky...but with the weakening US Dollar expect price increases soon on all imported guns.

Good time to purchase a shotgun right now.
Prices have already gone up the last few years...and I agree they will only go higher.

Althought the price of a shotgun isnt nearly as important as the price of shells or gas. In the long run the shotgun will be a fairly small part of the overall hunting budget.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts