Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading some old post on the 20 gauge Xcel Sporting not being very reliable especially with certain ammo.
Anyone have any experience with them? Are the newer ones anymore reliable? I had an a400 Xcel 12 gauge and it ran great, no issues. I have an a400 xplor 28 gauge that runs great, no issues.
Thanks a lot,
SR

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I have one on the way, due here on Monday. I will be reloading, but have a flat of Walmart Winchester that I was thinking might not work too well in it. I had problems with Walmart Winchester in my AL2 12 gauge. I will look for some heavier stuff to run through it first. Like I said I have an A400 Xplor 28 gauge that runs great with Winchester AA and my reloads.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thanks. I have one on the way, due here on Monday. I will be reloading, but have a flat of Walmart Winchester that I was thinking might not work too well in it. I had problems with Walmart Winchester in my AL2 12 gauge. I will look for some heavier stuff to run through it first. Like I said I have an A400 Xplor 28 gauge that runs great with Winchester AA and my reloads.

·
Registered
378 Posts
My experience with 2 A400s (Xplor and lite) is neither would cycle loads lighter than 1oz. Shot one today that has had well over 1000 rounds through it while comparing it to my A300 Ultima. It wouldn’t cycle 1200fps 7/8oz Winchester universals, or federal field & target. Maybe the Xcel cycles better. I see people on here claim theirs will cycle 3/4oz loads, but I just haven’t had any luck with 20 gauge A400s. It’s a shame, because the one I shot today is a beautiful gun.
My A300 Ultima only has 60 rounds of nothing but light target loads through it, and it has only had one FTE.
Tire Bicycle tire Automotive tire Wheel Automotive lighting

Hand Window Gesture Finger Revolver

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
My A400 xcel in 20 gauge chokes on cheap white box winchester and super x ammo. It does just fine with Gun Clubs and Academy Monarchs if you want to use budget shells. I also does fine with AA and 1250 fps Federals. All the above in 7/8ths offerings. I find the A400 xcel really light for serious clay shooting. Add lots of weight.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, Unfortunately I have a flat of 20 gauge Winchester Universal. Maybe I can sell or trade it to someone with a 20 gauge O/U.
I have weights on the way. I weighted my 28 gauge xplor and my 28 gauge Silver Pigeon. Mag cap and stock on the xplor, stock and forend on the SP. I like 7 to 7.5 lbs for shooting skeet.

·
Registered
24,852 Posts
My A400s are both 12, but they eat anything I feed them, including the Winchester stuff and my 3/4oz reloads; your 20 should be doing the same. A friend has the 28 A400 and loves it and it eats anything as well.

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
Thanks, Unfortunately I have a flat of 20 gauge Winchester Universal. Maybe I can sell or trade it to someone with a 20 gauge O/U.
I have weights on the way. I weighted my 28 gauge xplor and my 28 gauge Silver Pigeon. Mag cap and stock on the xplor, stock and forend on the SP. I like 7 to 7.5 lbs for shooting skeet.
Those Winchester Universals are infamous for causing issues with semi autos. I would not be judging a guns reliability based on how they function with those.

I agree with your course of action in trying to trade or sell them. Good luck!

·
Registered
378 Posts
The A300 Ultima I have cycles them. It did have 1 fte with them, but that’s within the first 50 rounds. My Weatherby Sa-08 will also cycle universals without issue

·
Registered
378 Posts
My A400s are both 12, but they eat anything I feed them, including the Winchester stuff and my 3/4oz reloads; your 20 should be doing the same. A friend has the 28 A400 and loves it and it eats anything as well.
The A400 in 12 gauge is more reliable than the 20 gauge version. From what I’ve read, the issues I’ve experienced with the 20 gauge is not uncommon. Some owners have the gas port drilled out to help the 20 gauge cycle 7/8oz loads more reliably

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
With my kids team I have been running 5 A400 20's, some for several years. I have the small kids shooting only slow 3/4 oz loads, and I definitely have to drill the gas ports out to get them to cycle those. On one of them I had to drill the gas port out slightly to make it reliable with 7/8 oz loads. Very simple to do.

It isn't likely these guns would ever be used to shoot big, heavy loads, but it an owner did want to do that I would advise buying a new barrel, as the larger gas port with heavy loads would be hard on the action.

My A400 12 ga. XCell never gets used anymore, because the 20 is so much more fun to shoot.

·
Registered
378 Posts
With my kids team I have been running 5 A400 20's, some for several years. I have the small kids shooting only slow 3/4 oz loads, and I definitely have to drill the gas ports out to get them to cycle those. On one of them I had to drill the gas port out slightly to make it reliable with 7/8 oz loads. Very simple to do.

It isn't likely these guns would ever be used to shoot big, heavy loads, but it an owner did want to do that I would advise buying a new barrel, as the larger gas port with heavy loads would be hard on the action.

My A400 12 ga. XCell never gets used anymore, because the 20 is so much more fun to shoot.
Or going with a gun that is made to shoot everything from factory light loads to heavy waterfowl loads without alteration…

I’d bet drilling out the gas port would void the warranty if an A400 had to be sent back for repairs. A $1600 shotgun shouldn’t need to be worked on after it’s purchased to shoot light loads. The 12 gauge models are outstanding autoloaders, but the 20 gauge models leave something to be desired.

I have 3 20 gauge autoloaders that will shoot light 7/8oz loads without requiring the gas ports to be drilled out, and all of them were priced less than $1000. All three are better Autoloaders than the A400 IMO.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

I don't plan on shooting 3/4 oz loads, I have 28 gauges for that. I am sure there will be a few Xcel 20 gauges here and there that have defects from the factory as I am sure there are some Xcel 12's that have defects from the factory, pretty much like anything else mechanical. From my guns, Harleys and cars I always just hope I don't get one of the few and so far I have been pretty lucky. Hope that luck holds out with this one. Thanks

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I just picked it up. It is light and muzzle heavy, but feels good when shouldered. I will shoot it before adding any weight.
Great choice. A friend I shoot with frequently has this exact gun, so I am very familiar with it. I add weight to my 20-ga A400's to reduce the recoil, as these are very light guns if you don't, but it is just a matter of personal preference.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am sure I will be adding weight. I have the 6.3 oz Beretta balance cap on the way and a roll of nickels for the stock. I added about a pound to my a400 28 gauge and about 12 oz to my 686 28 gauge. I just want to shoot it as is first. Thanks

1 - 20 of 44 Posts