Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had trouble with the stock on this gun?
I have have gone through two of them. The stock rotates where it is attached to the receiver after only shooting 2 boxes of Remington Clay & Pigeon 1 1/8 oz. #8 shot.

The stock is inserted into the receiver only by 4 detached short wood fingers.
These fingers break off, resulting in the twisting of the stock. :x

·
Registered
27,059 Posts
Sounds like you do not have the shims properly aligned. They warn that can happen if not done correctly.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
We are a Beretta dealer, have sold lots of these, have never seen this problem. There are 2 shims, 1 between the stock and action and a second between the stock and the draw bolt nut. They need to be oriented in the same way and the draw bolt nut tightened to about 200 inch lbs.

·
Registered
27,059 Posts
Two shims - two plastic/nylons ones that go between the stock and receiver - depending on the cast and drop - there are also two metal ones that go inside the stock hole that MUST match the nylon one to prevent cracking the stock

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cfoster said:
We are a Beretta dealer, have sold lots of these, have never seen this problem. There are 2 shims, 1 between the stock and action and a second between the stock and the draw bolt nut. They need to be oriented in the same way and the draw bolt nut tightened to about 200 inch lbs.
You are correct, there is a shim that is bolted onto the rod extending from the receiver and one between the receiver and the stock. Both guns come from the manufacturer as is and no changes were made by me.

I ordered them from Davidson's and they replaced both with new guns.

Now, they are offering me a new gun of my choosing.
I like the A400 but do I dare take another chance?
Maybe, the 3rd is a charm!
Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
27,059 Posts
Just because it came a particular way from someone does not make it correct. The Owner's manual will address that.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I have never heard or seen of this happening, not saying that it couldn't. Were both shims installed? the one in the stock, and then one black spacer? also do the numbers match?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just received my 4th A400 Xcel. I removed the KO and found that the metal shim in the stock was put in upside down and the SX side was facing out. Beretta claims all new A400 are set up for RT. handed cast. The DX side should have been facing out and on top.
The black spacer was also upside down and had the DX facing out.
I corrected both so we will see what happens when I put a few boxes through it.
So much for Beretta's quality control!!

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Usually Beretta Q&A is on par and is usually spot on, I wonder if maybe they have someone new on the assembly line, that just didn't understand the process and that you were a victim of circumstance.

Good eye on catching it though. I'd call Beretta and let them know, and then give them the serial number of your model this way if there is a problem, they might be able to pin point the serial number run with the wrong installation.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.