Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy y'all:

I've been pretty much exclusively a trap shooter for many years. Here lately, I've been finding myself shooting sporting clays and occasionally skeet. I would like to shoot both more but my trap gun shoots way to high for me to hit much of anything on the sporting clays course. Therefore, I find myself in the horrible position of needing another shotgun!

I've been looking at picking up an A400 Xcel for skeet and sporting but I'm not sure which model would be best. Should I stick with the standard sporting or go with the parallel target? Any thoughts (or suggestions of other guns that would be in the same price range) would be extremely helpful.

Thanks!

Nick

·
Registered
54 Posts
The Parallel Target has a raised parallel comb, and I believe a slightly higher rib. The sporter has the "standard" comb that tapers down toward the heel as with a typical field gun. Parallel combs are great for targets where you pre-mount (skeet, trap), but not so good for tracking really high targets, or when you have to mount and shoot in a hurry as you don't have time to get your head firmly into the gun.

My son had a Parallel Target and I always felt it shot high whenever I tried it, whereas a friend's sporter shot much flatter to me. This is personal opinion as I never patterned either one of them.

·
Registered
27,086 Posts
Then there is the Multitarget with an adjustable rib and comb. Since you are a trap shooter, you might consider that in your quest as well.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oneounceload said:
Then there is the Multitarget with an adjustable rib and comb. Since you are a trap shooter, you might consider that in your quest as well.
I looked at the Multitarget but I'm set as far as trap guns go. Also, its a bit more of an investment than I'm planning. My focus is to have something that will be good for skeet and sporting and not shoot too high to make either sport more difficult than they already are for me!

·
Registered
27,086 Posts
nhpennington said:
oneounceload said:
I looked at the Multitarget but I'm set as far as trap guns go. Also, its a bit more of an investment than I'm planning. My focus is to have something that will be good for skeet and sporting and not shoot too high to make either sport more difficult than they already are for me!
The point is, you can adjust the rib as high or as flat as works for you in any game; makes it a little more versatile. I own the smurf gun and Xplor Unico (green 3.5") - I'm liking the green one now - I believe it has a slightly more slender stock at the wrist that fits MY hand size a little better - and it shoots flat.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The standard sporting "smurf gun" is hard to beat!!! I shoot mine 8-10 targets better per round than with my K80 Pro Sporting... I also tried the MultiTarget version and shot it well but settled on the standard sporting model with no regrets,,,,,,,,, so far!!

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
My opinion would also be standard sporting model.

I just recently bought one myself. 30 inch without kick off. Very comfortable to shoot. I am only 400 registered targets into it with mine. First 300 I did struggle a bit as the balance and handling is very different than my browning o/u. My afternoon event this past Saturday I finally felt like I had broken thru and was one with the gun.

I am very pleased with how soft it shoots. At $1500 plus they are not inexpensive but offers a very competent target platform for a very fair price compared to most competition O|U's.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
andromeda673 said:
remember if you don't like the blue "smurf" gun you can always just get the receiver cerokoted to black or whatever color you want.
This is exactly what led me to buy mine. Saw it on cole Gunsmithing website. They had already done the cerekote treatment to black. As noted you can get any color you want.

I had passed on this gun for several years because the color bugged me. Maybe silly but it is what it is. From the time I saw it on their website to having it in my safe was less than a week and I am very happy to have added it to my collection.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I think the blue color is different and it grew on me right away. Some guys want all the engraving in the world and the nicest wood known to man kind, I'll take the plastic wood dipped stock that looks like nice wood.

If it goes bang and is reliable and shoots nice for me, color and wood quality are the very least of my worries.

I do think that Beretta should have offered the Xcel in two colors, one traditional grey or black and then one unique color.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
andromeda673 said:
I think the blue color is different and it grew on me right away. Some guys want all the engraving in the world and the nicest wood known to man kind, I'll take the plastic wood dipped stock that looks like nice wood.

If it goes bang and is reliable and shoots nice for me, color and wood quality are the very least of my worries.

I do think that Beretta should have offered the Xcel in two colors, one traditional grey or black and then one unique color.
The blue is definitely diffrent and for the most part I think the concept worked for beretta very well. When they first came out there was buzz and many people saw it and were intrigued. No idea how many they have sold but y impression is the Smurf has done well.

For me the blue receiver may just as well been snot green or fluorescent orange. I just couldn't like it.

I am no gun snob. I like nice things but to this point at least comparatively my acquisitions have been modest and utilitarian. One of life's compromises I have made to keep harmony in my personal universe. I will acquire and shoot a higher end gun at some point in my life but not for now.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Texas Yankee said:
I think the blue is a very effective marketing tool, everyone knows who produced the, "blue receiver." I don't mind it, the wife's gun and she loves the blue. Like andromeda673 said, "goes bang and is reliable."
I have gotten alot of the "that blue is actually not that bad" lately it seems. You either like it or you don't.

Beretta did also release a mallard green version of their A300 outlander for Cabelas, as an exclusive model, and after seeing one in person, it wasn't a bad looking gun.

·
Registered
399 Posts
The blue is on the masculine side of the spectrum I think, it's not exactly powder puff blue or pink. I've had mine for almost 4 yrs and only received some interest from other shooters within the last 2yrs or so. A gentleman at my club bought one after I let him should a couple of boxes through mine.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
once people shoot them, and if they decide that they do like them, they will over look the blue and just buy one.

I took a call from a good shooting buddy last night who was asking me about mine, and what my opinion was on it, since I have owned mine since 2012. He mentioned that he can get over the blue, and that it's not a deal breaker.

Different strokes for different folks you know

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.