Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 20ga A5 ser# 8Z9528. I'm trying to determine the mfg date but I haven't been able to find it on any mfg date tables. Any help is appreciated.Thanks.

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
The 8Z prefix indicates a "Light Twenty" manufactured in 1958 the first year of production for that model.

So yours is the 9528th Light Twenty made.

Tell us more about the gun, how is the condition? Barrel type?

Jeff

·
Registered
962 Posts
vesmcd said:
I have a 20ga A5 ser# 8Z9528. I'm trying to determine the mfg date but I haven't been able to find it on any mfg date tables. Any help is appreciated.Thanks.
Yeah, the 'date of manufacture' information posted on the browning site is very surprising poor..considering they are the 'experts' on brownings..

I would date your 20 gauge A-5 from a 1958 manufacture date. There are a couple of members here that can date anything, and I hope they chime in....
Those older 20's are very nice guns! I hope you take yours out and hunt with it every now and then.
rer

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BOPPER- yeah, I checked several dating tables and couldn't find a match either.

MARKD- sorry,not for sale. By "have", I mean in my possesion. I am cleaning and checking it out for a friend. He inherited it from his father. It's been sitting in a zipper bag in a closet for the past 20 years!!

JEFF- thanks for the mfg info. I thought that's what it is, but wasn't sure. It doesn't say "Light Twenty" on it, just a script "Twenty" on the left side of the hump. Also says "Browning" on left side of reciever and has usuall engraving. Barrel is 27.5" long with crosshatch(?) engraving on the top, not sure what choke. Pistol grip is knob type with checkering, forearm is checkered.Internals are like new.No noticable wear to the bolt face.

Now the bad news. It's apparenlty been reblued and had the stock/forearm refinished and a recoil pad put on.Who ever did it was a pro, but still....

I don't even like humpbacks, but DANG this thing feels GOOOOOD!

·
Registered
962 Posts
vesmcd said:
Now the bad news. It's apparenlty been reblued and had the stock/forearm refinished and a recoil pad put on........quote]

Oh, That's not really bad news for someone that wants a very decent hunting gun. I had my model 12 winchester 20 gauge reblued and I redid the wood on it because it wasn't a 'collector'. It was getting some rust on it and I really liked hunting with it. In my opinion I gave it a new life.

Now the bad news would be if you took your friend's gun out and tried it out......then you'd be looking to buy one just like it, or you'd tell him he couldn't have it back.

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
VESMCD,

Look closely in front of the word "Twenty" make sure that the word "Light" is not there but faint. I fear it was buffed out when the gun was reblued. Some hack gunsmiths (read as idiot) have buffed engraving down to a faint shadow while prepping a gun for bluing.

There was no STANDARD Twenty, just Light and Magnum and I was under the impression that they were engraved with the word "Light" or "Magnum" from the very beginning. BUT this being a first year of production gun I may be wrong....let us know.

Also, post the type of barrel and the choke code (made up of asterisks and dashes and well let you know what the choke is.

Jeff

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
JEFF- The script "Twenty" and the engraving around it was very clean & clear. I didn't see anywhere that "Light" may have been.It was a very light shotgun. "Was" as in owner came and picked it up last night, so I did not get a chance to look for the choke markings. If I had been paying attention, I would have seen the sticky about choke markings. The barrel is a 27.5"(bolt face to muzzle), non-ribbed with what looked like crosshatch(herringbone?) engraving running lengthwise on the top.
I'm depressed. I really wanted to take it to the range and try it out, but when the owner dropped by last night, I had to give it back to him. I had already told him over the phone that it was ready and he lives 30 miles from me. Wasn't supposed to pick it up till Sat but was in the 'hood on other business. Oh well, maybe next time.

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
The A5 Twenty weighed in at 6lb 4oz with a plain matted barrel like the one you were holding. They are fast handlers and sweet shooters.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Hi Jeff, many years ago I had a light A-5 twenty, (can not afford one now, wish I still had it) dont remember how it felt, now I have two model eleven twentys and like them very much. Just started hunting again because of better health. How do you compare the two under equal conditions, I know the model eleven is somewhat heavier than light A-5, do you know how much? Overall dimensions should be very close.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an A5 clearly marked "Twenty". The 'Twenty" is centered under the engraving above it, is neatly between the 'sawblade' engraving on each side of it, and is centered above the Browning logo about an inch below it.

I've been trying to research the difference between the twenty and the light twenty, but as indicated in some of the previous posts in this thread, it seems the info isn't common knowledge.

The SN also puzzles me. 70Z 55497

Evidently mfd in 1970...but what does the "Z" designate?

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
to add to huntinmo's point there is no such thing as a standard twenty.

But based on posts it is apparent that there were twenties that did not say "light" on them but they were in fact "light" models.

Jeff

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have two that are "light" twenties, but are marked only "Twenty"

Unfortunately, I cant get my hands on them right now to check serial numbers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts