Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that the so-called "barrel extension assembly" of my 1946 Browning FN A5 has been in a state of "freeplay".

This means that the assembly rotates clockwise and counterclockwise to some degree. Hence do I have a problem here?

Please advise, fellows.

Ithabrown

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rod, thanks for taking interest in my case. The part that's at freeplay is the opposite end of the barrel that meets the receiver.

Invert the barrel from its muzzle and you see this piece which contains tiny pieces like the ejector, etc.

I hope I made the description more vivid;otherwise, please ask me further.

G

·
The part you describe is the ejector. It is normal for it to move back & forth in a direction parallel to the barrel.
Hope this helps.

Rod.

G

·
The part you describe is the ejector. It is normal for it to move back & forth in a direction parallel to the barrel.However it should not rotate as you describe. If it is roatting I would think that the rivet device that retains it to the barrel extension is in need of repair.
Hope this helps.

Rod.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rod, the ejector is only one component of this bigger piece. It is really a "tubular" piece that mates with the receiver.

A schematic diagram review of the A5 really makes me conclude it is the "barrel extension assembly".

Ithabrown

·
Registered
578 Posts
Looked up the schematic in "The Gun Digest Book of Exploded Firearms Drawings".
Yes you are right it is part of a larger tubular assembly;however there is also the smaller hooked piece & a rivet listed.
I found the schematic somewhat small & not totally clear in its description of this classic shotgun.

Rod.

G

·
Rod, good to hear you saw this "tubular assembly" now. The important thing to me now is the issue "should it be at freeplay or not".

I'm still trying to get hold of a similar FN piece to compare with mine, but so far, my friend is out of town.

So what do you think? Ever encountered this same case before?

Ithabrown

1 - 8 of 8 Posts