Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I newcomer to reloading ,which is the preferred hull for
reloading, AA or STS?
If you were to buy either at the same price (once fired)
which would you choose? :roll:

·
Registered
510 Posts
Old AA's or the new ones?

Guess it doesn't matter that much, I'd still take the STS in either case. Except I'd keep the old AA's to use for "special" loads and give the new ones to friends who were willing to use them.

This is in 12 gauge. I'd do the same in 20. In 28 or 410, I'd take the AA's.

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
Yep, for 28 gauge or .410 bore the new AA-HS hulls hands down. The case mouths of either in STS hulls will burn, gnarl inward and be virtually useless after about six reloads.

For 12 or 20 gauge, flip a coin -- even the economy promo shells of either will reload at least 10 times, with Remingtons having the slight edge on reloadability with the promos.

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
For 12 gage, I don't keep track that very well, but it seems I can get more reloads from a STS hull than I can with the AA hull (old or new). Right now, I'm pretty much reloading the Gun Club exclusively since I can get a more than I can use for free. They hold up well and take the same load as the STS.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
STS-No high priced HS wads to mess with.I was a AA man until they changed the hull.My loaders are all set for Remington :wink: 8)

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
12 or 20, it doesn't matter much to me. I mostly load the cheapy Remingtons since they are free and load just fine. For 28, I don't think you can beat the AA-HS hull. I don't do 410 yet. Maybe someday when I grow up and learn how to shoot. :oops:

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
hoashooter said:
STS-No high priced HS wads to mess with.
There's no need to use any Winchester brand wad with the new AA-HS hulls.

Between Duster and Claybuster, there's a very serviceable clone for all of them.

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
Case said:
hoashooter said:
STS-No high priced HS wads to mess with.
There's no need to use any Winchester brand wad with the new AA-HS hulls.

Between Duster and Claybuster, there's a very serviceable clone for all of them.
Whew - He had me worried for a minute. I load the new and old style the same (with cheap claybuster clones) and never had a problem.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Freeburg ain't that far from Paris-If you are in the area give me a holler.Question is wad performance----do ya see any difference??Some of the die hards went to the PC wad.I found it much easier to go to BIG GREEN---YEAH.

·
Registered
75 Posts
In 12 Ga I use the STS/NITRO exclusivly. I dont fool with the AA anymore.

In .410 I ONLY use the NEW AAHS

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
EW said:
In 12 Ga I use the STS/NITRO exclusivly. I dont fool with the AA anymore.
I bought 500 each of once-fired gray AA-HS hulls and Nitro 27s.

I don't have any real problems with the AAs and my 3/4 oz. load, but I'd definitely give the edge to the Nitro 27 crimps. I suppose there's no difference at all except the color between the STS and Nitro 27. Love that pretty gold color.

In .410 I ONLY use the NEW AAHS
Yep, that's a no-brainer after one's had a little experience with STS .410s.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
My experience supports what most people have posted here:

12 ga: STS is superior to AA...will last a long time and crimp well for multiple loads.

28 ga, .410 : STS get crispy and frayed after one or two reloads and must be abandoned. AAHS are very durable and you can find third party wads that are cheaper than Winchester wads.

·
Registered
510 Posts
My question is why did Winchester do it? Seriously - before Remington introduced the STS hull, Winchester had the market. I know some guys loaded the older Rem/Peters hulls but the AA's were the hull to have.

So the STS comes out with longer life than the AA and an easier trip through the loader due to the slick plastic. Immediately most guys I knew started buying STS hulls just for the ease of loading, but the continued to use the AA's they had.

So what does Winchester do? Introduce a 2-piece hull, knowing that there have been real problems with the reloadability of 2-piece hulls in the past. They pretty much gave Remington the market segment of guys who reload. I just don't get it.

If they'd dropped the price $0.50 a box maybe, but at the same price as STS shells, it's a no-brainer if you reload.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I'm pretty new to reloading, having run about 500 shells...but I did some back to back testing of sorts this weekend on AAs and Remingtons in 12ga.

As others have said, I think the Remingtons crimp nicer. I also like the fact that many of the Remington hulls are identical in size...you can load a Sport/Dove Load Promo/STS/Gun Club/Nitro and they're all identical. I did them all this weekend and the crimps all turned out the same with the same settings on my 9000G. I'm finding a ton of Gun Clubs on the ground lately which is great.

I do buy Nitros and keep the hulls for "handicap" loads since the gold hulls are quick to identify.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Do all you guys belong to the same club, OR WHAT!!!! :?:

I'll make a deal with you. Send me all your once fired AA's and I'll use them with a :) .

I think you are over-reacting and you certainly have not put Winchester out of business buy not using their products.

I shot around 5000 rounds last year. 90% was with reloads using the HS hulls the other 10% was made up of new AA loads and a few boxes of Rio's I won at a shoot. No problems. I stop reloading them when the sides split. When so you stop reloading the STS's??

I'm sure STS shells are great but in the meantime I like the AA's.

Happy shooting.............................Levi

·
Registered
510 Posts
Tell you what, you trade me hull for hull STS for AAHS and we'll both be smiling. :twisted:

Over-reacting? Dunno. What I do know is that I loved the old AA hull to death (particularly the grey ones). They slid through my loader almost as well as the STS hulls, certainly better than the old Rem/Peters green and blue hulls. The new hulls won't work in my 9000 without adjustment. And I've got enough STS and old AA's that I won't adjust my loader back and forth just to stay current with Winchester.

That and I have a bias against basewads. Will the AA basewad fail? Probably not. They probably overengineered it to the point where it can't possibly come out. But I still don't like hulls with basewads and my old prejudices make me think that I'm being ripped off. So if I have a choice between STS and AA 12 gauge shells for the same price, I'll take the Remingtons every time. I like them, they work well, and there isn't even a hint of a doubt while I'm reloaing them. If you like the new AA's, that's great. You can help Winchester make up for what I'm not buying from them anymore.

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
59Bassman said:
The new hulls won't work in my 9000 without adjustment. And I've got enough STS and old AA's that I won't adjust my loader back and forth just to stay current with Winchester.
Then you need to learn how to adjust a MEC loader.

I load 12 gauge STS, Gun Clubs, Game Loads, AA and AA-HS hulls at random on a Grabber, which is nothing but a 9000G without the auto-index, without further adjustment and the crimps turn out fine.

Here's a photo of the variety, all loaded on a Grabber with no changes in adjustment:

And this is nonsense about the new AA-HS hull being inferior to the old AA.

The new hull's crimps will be perfect at upwards of 15 reloads, while the AAs will start going to hell at about Reload No. 10. They'll reload beyond that, but the crimps will be crap.

So far as 12 and 20 gauge go, either the STS or AA-HS are the best state-of-the-art hulls ever produced.

But for 28 gauge and .410 bore the AA-HS hull is vastly superior.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts