Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 1100 that really chops up its o-ring. I don't even need to shoot it, just cleaning and assembling it, releasing the bolt, disassembling it and checking the o-ring shows new cuts in it. It even had chops in it upon initial dissassembly and cleaning, before firing. Is this somewhat normal or totally unheard of? The gun is new this fall, a 20 ga. Sam Walton Special. The bottom of the gas ports seem pretty rough/sharp, and the chops occur on the forward (muzzle) side of the o-ring. I have tried putting the o-ring behind, on, and in front of the little trough that the o-ring settles in before putting the barrel on. It does not seem to matter, it ends up with chops in it anyway by just assembling and working the action a few times. The most I have shot through it before cleaning is about 60 shots, and by then the chop/burn had gotten somewhat severe.

Has anyone else experienced this on an 1100 or 1187? I will post pics of the o-ring. Also, my brother's 1187 is also new this fall, also 20 ga., and does not have this problem at all. I was cleaning them both so I don't think it's his cleaning method versus mine. :D Thanks for any help, I will go do the pic now.

Jeremiah

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

The chops there at the bottom are from about 60 shots or so. But little tears are formed without even shooting it. Am I doing something wrong? The 1187's o-ring still looks like new. The chops form on the forward side of the o-ring, muzzle side, so I don't think they are burns from hot gases. But they might be? I am new to gas guns. Help?! :shock:

Jeremiah

·
Registered
999 Posts
That is definitely not right. I have one O-ring that has at least 20,000 rounds on it, without any damage at all. It appears to me that the gas ports aren't cut correctly, and are digging into the O-ring. I would definitely contact Remington about a replacement barrel.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
I've seen "O" rings last decades and thousands of rounds without needing replacement!
As suggested return the gun to Remington or at least have a gunsmith look at it.

·
Banned
8,378 Posts
Return it with the chopped up o rings. I have a 1100 I bought in 1970.....original o ring. You couldn`t put all the ammo its been through in the bed of a truck.

·
Banned
2,771 Posts
Looks like they did not deburr the edges of the gas ports after they were drilled.

That is definitely a factory defect, and I would return the gun. It should be an easy fix.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input all. Since I am not that experienced with these autos, I am not sure if the problem is that the gas ports are rough/ not deburred, or if the ports are cut at a slightly wrong spot/ too far forward. It cycles fine; the first three shots with it were some old federal game loads that stovepiped it, but since then it really tosses out federal 3/4oz high velocity and remington 1 oz shurshot, and cycles old game loads. The gun shoots nice and straight, the trigger is good, and I love it for doves, so I am hesitant to send it back. Sent a Ruger 17 back to Ruger the other year and it went from a sub moa gun to an almost 2 moa gun. Not worth the fix, that. It could not go back before the end of grouse season (mid January) at any rate.

I will post a pic of the ports themselves so that you guys can comment on whether they are cut in the right place. That might not happen until tomorrow, though. Thanks again.

Jeremiah

·
Premium Member
20,027 Posts
FullandFuller said:
I don't even need to shoot it, just cleaning and assembling it, releasing the bolt, disassembling it and checking the o-ring shows new cuts in it. It even had chops in it upon initial dissassembly and cleaning, before firing.
Jeremiah
You might be damaging the O-ring when you slide it over the threads on the end of the magazine tube. Before removing or replacing the O-ring, try putting a piece of tape over the magazine threads to protect the O-ring from cutting.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I am sure it is being damaged by the gas ports. I rotate the o-ring to a "clean" area that is not cut, then slide the barrel on and the gas ports cut it. I'm just not sure why.

Above are pictures of the gas ports. Are they cut in the correct plane? They are cut halfway on and halfway off the chamfered area, but to me it would make more sense to be cut fully on the chamfer facing rearward.

Jeremiah

·
Premium Member
20,027 Posts
After looking at your pictures, there is no doubt that the burrs on the edge of the gas ports are what is responsible for cutting your O-ring. On my 1100, the gas ports are cut into the chamfered face. The ports do not protrude into the recess where the O-ring fits.

I suggest that you see if you can use a file or something to remove the burrs on the gas port holes which protrude into the little ledge where the O-ring goes.

BTW, excellent pictures! :D

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
I suggest you not mess with the holes until you talk with Remington. Usually, if you mess with any part of a gun, they will no longer honor the warranty. You could also e-mail them the pictures, or just tell them they are on the web. I checked an old Remington 1100 barrel, no burrs, and they set on the chamfer, not on the edge of it. :eek:

·
Banned
2,771 Posts
For sure there are burrs on the bottom of the gas ports that are cutting the o-ring.

Ulysses mentions that in his 1100 the ports are cut completely on the first bevel. I don't have my gun handy at the moment (I'm at work), but I will look at my 11-87 (ports are located in same position as 1100) when I get home tonight and will compare to your pictures.

My preliminary decision is that not only are the ports not deburred, but I tend to agree with Ulysess and albanygun in that they are mislocated. If so, Remington owes you a properly made barrel assembly.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Send Remington the pictures--my most recent Remington looks like the gasports have been deburred, almost counter bored.

Your's look like they missed a step and the hole on the right looks like it is located higher than the left port. Both look slighly off center.

My mechanical engineer took a look at these and liked neither the quality of the cut nor the alignment of the holes and he only does computer chassis for my team.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Burrs on the gas ports are most likely at fault. Do not file. Use a sharp drill slightly larger than the port holes to chamfer the sharp edges off the holes. Put the drill into a "pin vice" and operate it by hand gently. Take a look at your piston and seal for evidence of sharp burrs also.
-Lazarus

p.s. to Remington:
we are NOT amused by this inattention to details on new Remington guns. Even though the customer can "send it in", chamfering the holes should be part of the manufacturing process and not left to chance. Two thumbs down!

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the replies. I figured if the ports were in the correct place I would deburr them myself and cold blue, but since you guys agree they are misplaced I guess I will have to send it back. I found a pic of the gas ports of an 1100 SPS that MSDuckmen used for a dissassembly walkthrough (link has been posted here, hosted on refugeforums) and those gas ports looked to be cut completely on the chamfer, which makes more sense.

Other than the o-ring getting chopped like this, I really like the gun and shoot it pretty well on doves. I hope a new barrel shoots straight; I have read too much about mis-aligned tube threads.

BTW:
My mechanical engineer took a look at these and liked neither the quality of the cut nor the alignment of the holes and he only does computer chassis for my team.
Well sure, it's the most important part, holds it all together, give it to the most competent guy around: a fellow ME. :wink:

Jeremiah

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I assume you are the original owner of this gun. I am sure they will replace the barrel as it is clear that it is a factory problem and not anything that could have happened past the shop doors. Call them first and see if they will send you a UPS sticker prepaid to have it shipped to Ilion. They have done it before. Be nice and you should get great service. If you cant get what you want hang up and call again until you get someone who wants to help the customer. In recent times the customer service has been outstanding. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
In my dealings with Remington they were very good to work with. I have no doubt they will fix you up. :wink:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts