Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 686 Silver Pigeon 1 20 ga Field with 30" barrels and the gun weighs 6.4 lbs. I've been looking for a supplier of 3/4 oz shotshells in order to mitigate some recoil (3 shoulder surgeries) and additionally achieve a smoother swing and I have come up empty. So in order to add weight, but not to the gun itself, and to gain some measure of recoil reduction, would there be any benefit to adding weighted gloves of 1/2 lb each to bring the total felt weight up to 7.4 and thus achieve my objective? It seems like it would indeed translate to an equivalent weight addition to the gun as the balance point would stay between the hands. The weight packets are 1/2 lb each and come two per glove, with the option of using one or both packets per glove. The total added weight could either be 1lb or 2lb., effectively making "the gun" come in at 7.4 or 8.4 lbs. as I swung to the target. So I'm asking, does it sound like my theory would hold in actual practice?

Orange Textile Wood Eyewear Sunglasses
Hand Toy Finger Sports gear Gesture

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What’s your thinking in weighting your hands rather than the gun. I’ve added weight to almost every Competition gun I’ve ever shot.
When I take the gun to the field for pheasant, I really don't want to lug around an extra pound for 3 or 4 miles. If it works, it'll be an instant conversion from the field to the skeet range. Looking forward to testing it out.

·
Banned
2,085 Posts
In case you haven't noticed, recoil in light, field-weight 20s can be brutal.

Reload 3/4 ounce 20s. That's a good reason to reload.

And/or

Add 20 gauge barrel weight(s). You can remove them for field use.

·
Registered
27,091 Posts
Empty shotshells filled with shot and crimped should add some weight to the butt stock; Ian Smingler on here makes brass weights that go under the forearm. Other companies make weights you can clamp in front of the forearm that attach to the underside of the barrel

Reactions: marshfield

·
Registered
20,545 Posts
Those weighted gloves will have almost ZERO effect on felt recoil. If you've had 3 shoulder surgeries, I highly recommend you shoot extra-light loads or add considerable weight to your target shooting gun, or BOTH.

As for hunting, use a different gun. But keep in mind that recoil is recoil whether you're on the skeet field or hunting pheasants.

·
Registered
525 Posts
If you're holding the forearm tight enough for a forearm hand weight to reduce recoil, you're holding on too tight. But it will keep your left hand from recoiling and probably give you a good case of bursitis or tendinitis over time. ;)(n) Add weight in the stock for mass and a touch on the barrel for balance. If you put 8-10 oz in the stock and a couple on the barrel it will cut down on felt recoil, although maybe not enough due to your shoulder sensitivity. Have you thought of one of the air stocks, they add weight and sure are soft. I never could get used to them, but many people swear by them. I think Skeet Man had one years ago?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I will recommend that you look at a Beretta A400 or A300. I have had three back surgeries. My xcel in 12 gauge will function with 3/4 oz loads. This has less felt recoil than my 28 gauge XS. 7/8 oz feels like the 28 gauge. I am back up to 1oz. Still very nice. (The A300 won't operate with some of the lite loads.)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I will recommend that you look at a Beretta A400 or A300. I have had three back surgeries. My xcel in 12 gauge will function with 3/4 oz loads. This has less felt recoil than my 28 gauge XS. 7/8 oz feels like the 28 gauge. I am back up to 1oz. Still very nice. (The A300 won't operate with some of the lite loads.)
I do have a 12 gauge A300 and that works for me using 1oz 8s @ 1185 for clays, but I'd prefer to take the SP1 to the skeet field more often. If it turns out that a significant change in felt recoil isn't noticed, then I'm out $25 for the gloves. Plan B is to pick up a MEC single stage, don't know which model to get, and build a little stash of 3/4 oz. 20 gauge.

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
If it turns out that a significant change in felt recoil isn't noticed, then I'm out $25 for the gloves. Plan B is to pick up a MEC single stage, don't know which model to get, and build a little stash of 3/4 oz. 20 gauge.
This is the best plan yet. 3/4 oz loads in 20 and 12 are a joy to shoot.

As for MEC, you're really only going to find one single stage common on the market, and that's the 600 jr.

Starting on a 600 jr is almost a "right of passage" for most reloaders!

·
Registered
27,091 Posts

As for MEC, you're really only going to find one single stage common on the market, and that's the 600 jr.

And 3/4oz is great for crushing targets; just go one constriction tighter than you normally would use; Ex: use LM instead of IC

·
Banned
2,085 Posts

Ja!. But in today's world of steel rims and bases, a SizeMaster is often a better option.

·
Registered
Benelli SBE, Savage Fox 16, Browning Citori
978 Posts
I found a recoil device in my dad’s Citori when I removed the stock recently. It was in the hole for the stock bolt under the butt plate. There was a felt spacer at both ends and had a little tape around it so it would not rattle. Approximately 6” long and had fluid inside it. Probably weighed a pound.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts