Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went and shot my new shotgun today and i discovered a problem. By the way, it is a Stoeger 2000. Anyway, the problem is that when i shoulder the gun to shoot in the way that feels natural to me i am above the site plane. Instead of looking down the vent and lining up with the bead i feel like i am above it. When i position my face so that i am properly looking down the rib it is uncomfortable and the recoil really slaps me on the cheek. I talked to a gunsmith about altering my stock and he told me that we could fix the problem with a different recoil pad that takes some of the lenght out of the toe (these are his words) of the pad. He also said this would be done with a recoil reducing pad. My question is if this is possible or is he blowing smoke up my butt? Also, is it common for someone to have to have these kind of adjustments made? I would appreciate any help. Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
19,750 Posts
Based on your description, it sounds like your stock has too high a comb or is too short in length, or perhaps both. There could be other problems as well, but it is kind of hard to fit a gun over the internet.

But perhaps if you will take your gun and mount is like you are getting ready to shoot and point it straight at the center of your computer screen, I'll be able to look into my screen and tell you what additional adjustments need to be made. :wink:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ha ha! You gave me a good laugh Ulysses. I guess it would be pretty hard to try to picture all that in your mind. I guess my best bet will be to take it to the gunsmith and let him tell me what is wrong by watching me shoulder the gun. Surely there is some kind of modification that can be made to eliminate my problem. I'd hate to think that i just spent $400 on a shotgun that i'll never enjoy shooting. That would be very discouraging. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1 Posts
A lot of shotguns (my Mossberg 500 and Browning Gold both did) come with spacers you can install between the stock and receiver to drop the comb. I have the same problem as you with almost all shotguns. My are just blessed with that perfect configuration that gets me slapped in the face by the comb every time.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Kyle:

There is a considerable amount of smoke below your waist. Your gunsmith was attempting to fix the problem in a completely ineffective way. In fact, the drop at the heel dimension isn't involved at all and installing a new recoil pad will do nothing to correct the one or two stock dimensions that are causing poor a eye-rib relationship.

Assuming that you are mounting your gun somewhere closely to correctly (that may or may not be a safe assumption,) you are suffering from a problem that tormented me for the first 20 years that I shot.

The cause of our problem is cheekbones that are too far below our eyes. When your gun is mounted with the comb (top surface of the stock) under your cheekbone, your eye (without excessive compression pressure) is too far above the gun's rib. The "drop at the comb" dimension on your stock is insufficient; it needs to be greater to position the comb farther below the level of the rib.

Another poorly fitting stock dimension may be adding to the problem. If, when you mount the gun, the bottom (toe) of the recoil pad makes contact with your shoulder well before the top of the pad (heel), the "pitch" on the stock is wrong for you. Pitch describes the angle of the recoil pad relative to the barrel.

There is no quick-and-dirty way to lower the comb on a gun. Removal of wood, even on a gun with a Monte Carlo stock (with a notch at the rear of the stock), often introduces new problems.

The solution to your problem is adding height to your rib to raise it and allow you to look along it rather than
down onto it. There are available "add-on" ribs for just that purpose. The ones available commercially have an adhesive that sitcks them onto your existing rib and have been used successfully for years. They come in a viariety of heights/thicknesses up to 3/4".

To determine how much additional height you need to add to your rib to allow you to look along it without putting excessive pressure on your cheek (your cheek wouldn't stay there during swings to targets anyway (it would rise causing you to shoot higher than you expected), you could pick up some narrow eighth- or quarter-inch thick strips of balsa at a hobby shop. These could be taped onto your rib with electrician's tape. Map pins with round heads could be used to temporatily replace the bead(s) on your existing rib. You could stack on strips of balsa until snug cheek pressure is all that's necessary to look along the rib. If you want to get fancy, you could even paint the strips of balsa flat black.

For a perminant solution, in addition to the commercial add-on derlin (a plastic) ribs, plain strips of the material are also available to allow you to make your own. You can find them by clicking on this link.
http://wwwltrapshooters.com

If the bottom of your recoil pad sticks out too far (too little pitch), it can be changed by cutting your stock by any gunsmith that installs recoil pads. Your pad can then be refitted to the stock. If cutting the stock at a different angle to reduce the amount the toe (bottom) of the recoil pad sticks out, shortens the stock too much, tapered spacers are availbable that fit between the recoil pad and the butt of the stock. They of course, lengthen the stock slightly. With these tapered spacers, the pitch can be changed either way.

Rollin http://stockfitting.virtualave.net

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sorry for bringing this OLD thread up but this last post made me thinking!!

If we don't alter the comp and just add the rib...wouldn't we still have the problem of putting the head at the right position every time??
As we didn't changed it it means that we still have a gun fitting ptoblem.
Wouldn't it be better if we raised the comp to the level we feal comfortable and then add to the rib to bring it to the eye??

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
vti-chris said:
Wouldn't it be better if we raised the comp to the level we feal comfortable and then add to the rib to bring it to the eye??
Depends whether you want to shoot a shotgun like a shotgun or like a rifle. The conventional shotgun sight picture needs the eye above the rib. This allows unobstructed line of sight to the target and thereby enables natural pointing. Obviously this means the gun shoots high relative to the bead but that's meaningless because the bead isn't seen when making the shot.

Some people shoot shotguns flat like a rifle then wonder why they have gunfit problems.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Trickster touched on this so I'll add: the OP should shoot the gun on a pattern board before making stock changes. If the gun shoots low Rolands rib adjustment is a good idea.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
vti-chris said:
Sorry for bringing this OLD thread up but this last post made me thinking!!

If we don't alter the comp and just add the rib...wouldn't we still have the problem of putting the head at the right position every time??
As we didn't changed it it means that we still have a gun fitting ptoblem.
I don't know what "alter the comp" means but if it means lower the recoil pad with a pad adjuster, then with the gun mounted the head and neck would be in a naturally erect posture. To mount the gun consistently would still require practice.

Lowering the recoil pad changes the "effective" comb height only a little because the cheek's contact with the comb may change slightly.

If the recoil pad were left in its current position and a taller rib was added, the comb would need to be reaised a distance equal to the increased height of a new or add-on rib. And yes, it would allow shooting with an erect head and neck posture assuming that the higher rib would be high enough to allow an erect posture.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts