Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Narrowed it down to 3 guns...
1) Franchi Diamond(20g) from Dicks. Need some advice on fit and finish and more importantly reliability. $ 800. Should hold value fairly well.
2) Franchi al 48 28 gauge- love it. light, lively. no experience with franchi semis with reliability. 10 yr son could shoot all day. wonder if they have youth stock and grow into factory one. retain value too. Is there 28 gauge steel or bismuth available? $ 699 new. I think its a good deal???
3) Mossberg Silver Reserve - 20 or 28 *****. aka Khan. Lots people buying but nobody posting back about reliablity,etc. Fit finish decent for $ 500(Bass Pro)... Resale value crap, will likely need new upgrade tubes for steel(+60). How long will Mossberg import?
Thought and looked for used Bguns, all fixed chokes and expensive.
Any ideas out there???

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
BirdBrian said:
Narrowed it down to 3 guns...
Any ideas out there???
I suggest that you can easily narrow it down to your first two.
I have never touched either one but from my experience with 2 MSR's The Franchi's have got to be better.

There are many posts regarding MSR's here, heres just one.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=68898
You can search for the rest if you want :roll: .

Good Luck

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
Brian,

Forget the Mossberg, it just isn't in the same league as the Franchis. It is made in Turkey by Khan and I understand there are some problems with the firing pins protruding and hitting the bottom of the chamber when closing (or something like that.)

If you don't already have a 20 or 12, get the 20. If you are really sure you want a 28, they are wonderful calibers. As far as the Diamond goes, the fit and finish leave a little bit to be desired, if mine is typical. For $800, though it is a nice gun. Two more things. The Diamond is available as a 28 (mine is), so if you heart is set on a 28, you needn't discount the Diamond. Second, the diamond is a really light gun that may take some getting used to. I use mine for skeet, but I don't shoot competitively, just for fun. It is really too light for that game and I can see about a 6 or 7 bird per hundred difference between the Franchi and my Browning XS 12ga.

Hope that doesn't confuse you too much!

Frank

·
Registered
573 Posts
I can't speak to the Franchi's because I don't own one. I understand that they are quiet nice.

I do own a Khan though and love it. It seems well balanced and has the swing and stock feel of a citori 525. Mine has had none of the issues reported on the mossberg version. It is a 2005 production Athemis supreme. I would buy another.

Right now Gander Mountain has them on sale for $300 that is over $150 less than their original price. Not a bad place to start. No its not a B gun or even the Franchi diamond, but mine does shoot well balances well, has nice enough wood and has gone bang every time. I gotta rate it a best buy for the buck.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Does Kahn build an O/U for Academy? A friend of mine bought one and he said it was an Academy "house brand" that was made in Turkey. I don't know a whole lot about O/Us but it felt like it had good balance. I am thinking about getting a 20 ga. o/u for dove/upland with the gun eventually being a kids first gu when they get old enough. For that purpose a less expensive gun would be nice.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Lakenut said:
Does Kahn build an O/U for Academy? A friend of mine bought one and he said it was an Academy "house brand" that was made in Turkey. I don't know a whole lot about O/Us but it felt like it had good balance. I am thinking about getting a 20 ga. o/u for dove/upland with the gun eventually being a kids first gu when they get old enough. For that purpose a less expensive gun would be nice.
The Academy gun is the Yildiz. They are somewhat similar to the Khan but not the same maker. They are quite highly thought of around here. Check the Yildiz forum.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a 20 gauge Franchi Diamond a couple of weeks ago at Dick's because it was the best fitting shotgun I've dared to put to my shoulder. I didn't "need" another shotgun, but this one is a honey! IMHO, the price is better than right at $799.

The wood was the best out of the 6 they had in the rack and being a part-time gunsmith, I'm impressed with the workmanship.

I'm an old upland bird hunter and have had many shotguns, including a couple of Weatherby Olympians, three Remington 1100s, including a Special Field 12 with 21" barrel and the 20 gauge 11-87 Upland Special. I've probably handled thousands and shot a hundred or more shotguns. Quick and accurate mounting are paramount to me in a grouse and woodcock gun and this one beats all I've handled to date.

I've killed 4 woodcock and 5 grouse with it in about four (dogless) outings in both central and Northern Maine. I think it's just a fantastic grouse gun.

Picher

·
Registered
748 Posts
The Al-28 has suprising recoil due to the inertia action (not gas operated) and light weight. It's a great gun for carrying and hunting but not so pleasant after a few rounds of skeet. I bought one for my niece thinking it would be a great starter...traded it for an 1100 after she took a beating from it. No reliability issues at all with the AL series, it's a licensed version of the Browning A-5.

·
Registered
15,565 Posts
I bought an AL 48 28 ga and love the gun. It is going to be my go to Upland gun this season and thus far no reliability issues. You can get Bismuth for a 28 ga but it is expensive. If non tox is something you will need to use a lot I would really look at the 20 ga.

If you buy a 28 ga get a reloader it is the only way to go with the price of 28 ga shells.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Have a franchi AL in 28 ga. It is very light and is easy to carry. Love to take it on long walks. there aren't any birds here this season.

Have a franchi diamond 20 ga. never had have a problem with it.

Friend has a Khan O/U. Broke a screw in the forearm after a couple hundrde rounds. He won't buy another one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.