Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a silly thought, but has anyone here ever made that tough -- or even painful -- decision of replacing worn out and aging parts of a "collector's item" piece?

Would you go for the aesthetics or for the historical value?

Ithabrown

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
If the gun in question is a true collectible, any repair necessary to keep it functioning will not hurt the value, as long as it is a high-quality job. Refinishing of the stock and/or forearm is generally a "don't do that", although a cleaning and re-oiling will not hurt the value.

Rebluing, buffing, polishing, etc. of a true collectible is an absolute crime against humanity. Any action that can be taken to stop any further deterioration is all that should be done.

That said, if there is no intent to sell the gun, and you would like to hunt with it and pass it down to future generations, rebluing will help preserve the gun.

·
Registered
61 Posts
What ya got???

The gun that shot Lincon - (Don touch it!)
HiGrade/Special Old Production gun( gotta be perfect for BiGBucks!)
An excelent example of a once STD porduction gun(??? - its only as good as it looks and works, by the book)

So what ya Got?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks, wwb, for your 2 cents! I sure needed them!

Bob, I got a 1947 Browning FN A5 and a 1947 M37 military issue Ithaca.

Ithabrown

·
Registered
61 Posts
Ooo… A5, Nice, a shooters shotgun!
I have one too, a 64 Belgium 28" Fixed Mod{actually a 27.5). Am sure you like yours too…But, am thinking its time to turn it into a brand new Gold Classic Hunter. Prices are up for A5's right now… and about any/all other "Brownings, the Best" - you know the rest….

And a Military M37 Ithaca. Oops, sorry about mentioning a Mod 37 Featherweight beats me up. Am sure the Military version is heaver. A Mod 37 IS a nice piece of machinery. If the Military version is as bad on the business end as the featherweight version was on the buttend, it's a serious impact shotgun… Oughta have good value if its a good shooter. I have similar situation with an Ithaca Double Flues. Good solid shootin gun, good barrels, BAD wood - and a std production field, nothing special (not what they call graded) and still a good many of em around gun…

What ya goin to do? As I'm a shooter/not a collector I'm' putting all mine in the best shootin/looking condition for the most reasonable expense, and movin on to more modern guns with multiple chokes, steel shot capability and combo barrel sets. Prices are right for good shootin used now. I'm keeping the best and sellin the rest… I'm a sucker for a good shootin shotgun - keep seein this new Gold Classic Hunter in place of my A5 and Ithaca….

1 - 5 of 5 Posts