Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,

Originally I was going to buy a 870 Left hand for home protection. On second thought though, I will probably want a entry level shotgun that is good for shoot clay as well. What auto do you recommend for a beginner? What do you think of some of those inexpensive autos I see listed as "deals"?

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
If it were me...And it aint ;)

I would ignore all the 'new' inexpensive autos, and look for a good used Clone of the Browning A-5...Springfield, Savage and Remington all come to mind...

Like I said...If it were me...

I just trust older time-proven weapons to most new junk including all the high priced name-brand stuff most people swear by these days...

·
Premium Member
19,698 Posts
Springfield automatic??? Savage automatic??? Have either of these companies made an automatic shotgun in the past 30 years? I don't know of ANY Springfield or Savage automatics that would compare with a modern Beretta, Browning, Franchi, Weatherby, or Benelli automatic.

As for the "new junk" you are referring to, most of it is far superior to the old automatics. The only "old" automatic that I would consider as a good reliable gun is the long recoil Browning A-5. The Winchester Super X-1 is also a very good gun, but I don't consider it "old", just middle aged. :lol:

You are entitled to your opinions of the old guns and the new ones, but I think about 99% of the automatic owners of today would disagree with you.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
My father is still shooting a 1947 Browning A-5, and a Springfield clone from the 50's (we think)...I am shooting a Savage 775A from around there...Aluminum receiver...I'll put it up against anything else I have seen in the field...Do I shoot 5000 rds a year through them?...Nope...Would I think of it?...Probably not...Do I like anything gas operated?...Not really...

The guy asked about an entry level auto...Would I take a (fill in the name of a 'new' entry level auto) if I could have a Remington Model 11 in 85% or better for the same price?...Nope...

All IMHO of course...

:)

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Beretta 391 Urika. You'll be VERY happy that you spent a little more for it.

·
Registered
316 Posts
If it were me. I would look at the Bakail auto or the Lanber auto. They are both gas semi-autos. I have seen both at gun shops or gun shows priced under $300. I have never shot either but have been impressed enough to be intrested. I already have 3-12ga. If either came out with a 20 ga. I probably would pick one up.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I bought a cheap semi-auto at first to start with and ended up giving it to my brother and getting a Beretta AL391 Urika. I say spend a little more money and get the beretta. I use it for Skeet and I have never had a problem with it.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
You may also want to take a look at a used 11-87

·
Registered
56 Posts
Been keeping an eye on a guy at the local club with a Bakail auto. I'm impressed so far.
Went to a gun show this weekend. Could not believe what people were asking for A-5's (and getting it)! Are they going up everywhere?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts