Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thingking of buying a new affordable 12ga shotgun to be used for all purposes (clays/hunting...) I am looking at the 3 guns below.

IZH-27 Sporting
Verona O/U (model Number?)
Silma 70EJ

All must have interchangeable chokes.
I was wondering if anyone has any experience or opinions on the quality, durability, craftsmanship, Value, features as well as the average price on each firearm thanks.

also what is the difference between skeet and cyl chokes

G

·
don't forget about the Lanbers.

I have a IZH-27 Baikal for over 3 years and it works fine. The wood is a little soft though and prone to swelling when wet. I've shot 2 3/4 from T to No 8 for hunting, dove, Quail. to 3" T for Goose to 00Buck to kill a nice deer with it 2 years ago. For the money it's a very good gun.

On the other hand, I have been doing research into my next 'budget' gun. It came down to a Silma, Stoeger Condor, Lanber 2087, and another Baikal w/ nickel receiver this time.

I ended up purchasing the Lanber 2087. For the money (just a little more than the Baikal) the quality is MUCH, MUCH better. I've shot 10 rounds of skeet within the last 3 days with it and 4 of my co-workers have already bought one each also. It came with all the right features (selectable trigger, auto ejectors, red flourescent bead, ribbed barrels, nickel finished nicely engraved receiver, screw in chokes (it came with 5 and a tool).

I whole heartedly recommend the Lanber 2087 and have already promised the gun dealer that I would bring in another 10 buddies so he'd better stock up.

Good luck

G

·
And one other thing...

The matte finished walnut wood on the Lanber 2087 (all 5 of them that me and my friends now own) is very beautiful and the checkering very deep and clean.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Draymun said:
And one other thing...

The matte finished walnut wood on the Lanber 2087 (all 5 of them that me and my friends now own) is very beautiful and the checkering very deep and clean.
Do you have any trouble loading the bottom chamber of your Lanber? The Lanbers I have handled didn't open far enough or easily enough to access the lower chamber. Have you disabled the auto-safety for clays shooting?
...j

·
Registered
243 Posts
Don't overlook the Yildiz SpzME for $386. I have put 2000 round through mine since I bought it a year ago. I use it for hunting and clays. I couldn't be happier with it after owning a Citori and a 686 before the Y gun.
Chris

·
Registered
103 Posts
Ive heard a lot of good thing about the yildiz and will probly pick one up before long.The cz is nice too you will just have to pay a little more if you dont want 2 triggers.I prefer any of these 3 over the sparton or other simalar guns however the veronas are nice but are a little higher dont have much experience with the silma.Sometimes you can find used beretta field models in the 600-800 range as well as rugers both are very good guns.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
10gaOkie said:
Don't overlook the Yildiz SpzME for $386. I have put 2000 round through mine since I bought it a year ago. I use it for hunting and clays. I couldn't be happier with it after owning a Citori and a 686 before the Y gun.
Chris
Unless you live in or near Texas the "Y" guns are unavailable. Anyone know otherwise?

·
Registered
440 Posts
My vote goes for the Verona. In this price range you need a LX5XX model. I have a LX500 with about 500 rounds through it with no problems. There are two guys with the Baikal's at my range both would never buy their guns again. Less than 500 rounds through each and many problems. They both say the gun shoots where it points though.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Unless you live in or near Texas the "Y" guns are unavailable. Anyone know otherwise?
if I'm not mistaken, Yildiz are available in any state that has an Academy Sports...I've been very pleased with mine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've been shooting the Spartan 310S for a couple of months now, clays and bird hunting. Shoots great and fits well.
I got what I paid for.
The fit is good and locks up tightly, maybe a little on the stiff side. The blueing is fair. The finish on the wood is terrible. The first thing I did after I patterned it was refinish the stocks.The "lower end" Baikal guns are known for poor finish.
However, It does seem well constructed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts