Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you have experience with any of the aftermarket 391 bolt releases? It seems that something must be better than the small button that comes on the gun. Briley has one for $55.00, Angleport has one for $85.00 and Midwest Gunworks has one made by Beretta for $22.50. If any of you have knowledge of these please tell me the pros and cons. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
:idea: Briley or Angleport :wink:

Not the Beretta Factory model

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
TexasTon said:
So, a CareyCloser is not the thing for a 391 anymore?
Not many people talk about the Carey Closer anymore. It seems to be nearly all Briley or Angleport

Times they do change....Sometimes just not for the best.

Sometimes....If it ain't broke; Why fix it :wink:

Free Enterprize I guess. Re-Invent the wheel :roll:

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
Yep Randy, marketing is where it's at, and Briley knows how to do that. I guess if someone orders $500 worth of chokes, might as well get the same type anodized accessory from the same place.

I still see Careys, never seen anyone cuss their CC on the range so I suppose they aren't a problem, Idunno. About half the price of a Briley???? And have the option to go to several stages of completion (catcher/closer etc etc)??

Guess I need to get a "Briley or Angleport" sumthin :roll: :roll:

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
Guess I need to get a "Briley or Angleport" sumthin
You First; I don't have anything of either; either :wink:

Briley has gotten pretty pricey. esp their choke tubes.

OOOps :oops: I do have 2 Briley choke tubes for my 391 20ga.
Flush $15.95/ea :wink:
Bought from MPC Sport thou. No Shipping/No Sales Tax

OOOps again :roll: I have a Briley brochure they sent me :p
Very Nice Folder :wink: :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
I installed the factory part that came with the gun -- after 6 shells I noticed that it had worked its way out about 1/4" from the gun -- had to push the pin back in--

Anyone else had this problem??

Bill

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
The factory supplied extended bolt closer is a pc. of junk. Throw it away an get the Briley or Angleport, they work.

·
Registered
9,160 Posts
EyeMissum said:
The factory supplied extended bolt closer is a pc. of junk.
Well, my friend Eye, I usually agree with you but this time I must disagree.

You say it is a piece of junk. I say it is a piece of s**t!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Try Pure Gold's fast bolt release. It might come in a set with a shell door pin with large button and trigger group pin with a large head. Not sure if you can get them separate or not. www.ableammo.com or 803-328-6829. I am sure it is high quality stuff just like their choke tubes. I also thought I read somewhere else on this site that people were having problems with the angle port closures breaking. And what I have seen on Briley's website is pretty horrid looking.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Does anyone have a set of instruction to install the bolt closure from Briley. I have the closure, but the instruction sheet that came with it sayss to follow the instructions from Beretta. There aren't any actually.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Beretta4Life said:
Try Pure Gold's fast bolt release. It might come in a set with a shell door pin with large button and trigger group pin with a large head. Not sure if you can get them separate or not. www.ableammo.com or 803-328-6829. I am sure it is high quality stuff just like their choke tubes. I also thought I read somewhere else on this site that people were having problems with the angle port closures breaking. And what I have seen on Briley's website is pretty horrid looking.
I have the Pure Gold release and the shell door large button, like them both . Also use their chokes .

·
Registered
107 Posts
Here's a link to insturctions on Pure Gold's website.
http://www.gameacc.net/gun parts.htm

Scroll down & click on the pink highlighted QCK install instructions link. It should work for most any of the aftermarket closers since they are gonna be basically the same with just cosmetic differences on the tab you push.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Thank everyone. I have a Briley, are they the same instructions, because I can't figure it out I'ma dummy.

·
Registered
679 Posts
dickn52 said:
Thank everyone. I have a Briley, are they the same instructions, because I can't figure it out I'ma dummy.
I will look to see if I saved the instructions from Briley.

The link "cozy338" supplied to Pure Golds instructions look to be the same as I remember for Briley. A small punch or a paper clip was all that was needed and it was quick and simple.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Long Shot said:
I installed the factory part that came with the gun -- after 6 shells I noticed that it had worked its way out about 1/4" from the gun -- had to push the pin back in--

Anyone else had this problem??

Bill
Happened today on my 3901 Parallel Target RL. The trigger pin (which this thing anchors to) is apparently just a friction fit.

I'll be perusing replacement candidates tomorrow... :roll:

·
Registered
112 Posts
The factory bolt closer is crap.

The Briley bolt closer can be installed using the Pure Gold instructions posted above. Took me about 20 minutes. A set of pin punches (<$10 at Lowe's) came in handy and now I have them forever. I would recommend a drop of Loctite on the set screw when making final assembly of the external release lever.

Now as for performance, my only problem(?) is that the bolt releases so easily that I need to close the bolt before I put the gun away in its case. It releases so easily that I have changed my entire shot routine so that now I close the bolt with the little finger of my LEFT hand. Try doing that with the stock button release!

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Ok, I'll give it a try. if I bugger it up though...I'll find a gunsmith with a pin punch to make it right I suppose.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I ordered the Angleport stainless gadget (and a new trigger group pin) yesterday... along with the gas system cleaning kit.

The fellow said that all of that will work on my 3901; guess we'll see.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts