Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would appreciate your thoughts on reliability between the two shotguns.

I have an opportunity to get into one of the two with the Beretta costing a bit more than I want to spend but not sure due to hearing that the X2 can be finicky with light loads and in the cold?

I'll be using this to shoot skeet in a variety of conditions.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I can only speak for the AL391. It is one great reliable shotgun. Soft shooter and eats up the ammo and shucks the hulls with no problems at all. Good all around semi auto. I have the Al391 optima 12 *****.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Merc1 said:

I have an opportunity to get into one of the two with the Beretta costing a bit more than I want to spend but not sure due to hearing that the X2 can be finicky with light loads and in the cold?

Thanks!
I've shot both guns, but don't own either one. The 391 and the SX2 are good guns, but I've personally seen shooters experience jams and breakdowns with both models. The 391 had/may still have issues with bent carriers, but I don't think the SX2 is particularly sensitive to temperature extremes. We live in an imperfect world.

Be aware that the SX2 has been replaced by the SX3. Therefore, you may be able to work a very good deal on a leftover SX2. I've seen new SX2 Ranger models sell for around $550 - which is half of what a new 391 is selling for.

Either way, I'm sure you'll be happy.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I own both guns and like both very much, my 391 is one of the original golds that were available when they first came out its a soft, relliable shooter, I have only used mine for targets.

My SX2 is a 3.5" mag that I use for hunting. The only time I have had trouble with it is that when it is very cold and wet (usually snow or freezing rain) with temps in the low 20's, It will sometimes fire but not go back into battery. This gun has been dunked more times than I can count, but it functions great except as noted above. I can shoot 1 1/8 taget loads out of it with no problems with temps in the upper 30's and dry.
I suspect that I need to tear the gun down and replace the tube and spring in the stock with a stainless sure cycle ones, as I'm sure mine has some rust issues after all this time and water.

If your looking for a target gun only I'd go for the 391, if a high powered 3.5" hunting gun the SX2 is the one i'd chose.

Good luck,

Jeff

The nut list- Baker 1898 Damascus barrel double hammer gun / American Arms single shot 12 ga/ Winchester Model 12 26" IC solid rib black diamond high grade straight grip checkered stock and fore end 12ga / Winchester 1300 Black Shadow Turkey 12ga / Winchester SX2 3 ½" 12ga / Browning Gold Hunter 20ga / Stoeger 2000 Max4 camo 12ga / Beretta AL391 Urika Gold 12ga / Remington 870 Wingmaster 20ga / Springfield .410 single shot (for yet to be conceived grand babies)/ Ugartechea Model 30 12 ga/ De Haan SGr-CS SxS on order since April, soon to be delivered, I hope!

·
Registered
28,183 Posts
Merc1 said:

Thanks!
Comparing a 3-1/2 chambered auto (X2 Magnum) to a 3 in. chambered gun doesn't make a whole heck of a lot of sense. The 3-1/2 in. X2 mag has capabilities no 3 in. gun has; shooting 1 or 1-1/8 oz. skeet loads is not the reason for a 3-1/2 in. gun.

Comparing a 3 in. SX2 vs. a 3 in. 391, there is no reliability difference on the skeet field of any substance.

·
Registered
13,098 Posts
Welcome to SGW. Both are very good models but are in different classes with the AL391 being a 3" model and the SX2 a 3 1/2" model. A better comparison would be the AL391 and SX2 3" or the A391 Xtrema vs the SX2 3 1/2".

I like 3" models for all around use and the bigger chamber for waterfowling and turkey.

They are both gas operated. They both can go long periods between cleanings. The SX2 is a lot easier to clean and especialy so the further you tear them down. The AL391 is lighter in weight and has a more stock heavy balance to the SX2's more netural balance. The AL391 is a much thinner gun thru the foerarm. The SX2 has a higher rib than the AL's low rib. The AL391 has an automatic magazine cutoff with a bolt lock lever on the left side of the receiver. The SX2 does not have a cutoff but, can be tricked into having one. Pushing up slightly on the carrier while pulling the bolt back. Blocks the rounds in the magazine and locks the bolt back. The AL391 holds four rounds total to the five for the SX2. The SX2 can take an extension to hold more and the AL391 can't. The AL391 come with shims and the SX2 hase them available. The Safety is a round button at the front of the trigger gaurd for the AL and basck for the SX. They both come in several finishes with the SX having the Dura-Touch option. The AL391 will cycle lighter loads but, the SX3 3 1/2" will cycle a wider range of shells. The SX3 has a larger bore diameter which tends to pattern hard non toxic loads better. The SX2 usually cost less than the AL391.

Cold weater issues have far more to do with the type and amount of lube used than the model.

There is a camo AL391 and a B/S SX2 3 1/2" owned within my group of buddies. The SX will cycle 1oz target loads in any temp and has had only jam in the last seven years or so. The AL has had five or six failures in the last three or four years. Both models have several thousand roundds fired thru them with a little more thru the AL.

shotgunnut wrote:

The only time I have had trouble with it is that when it is very cold and wet (usually snow or freezing rain) with temps in the low 20's, It will sometimes fire but not go back into battery.
This gun has been dunked more times than I can count, but it functions great except as noted above.
I suspect that I need to tear the gun down and replace the tube and spring in the stock with a stainless sure cycle ones, as I'm sure mine has some rust issues after all this time and water.
It's not a gun issue but, rather a user issue. A gummed upped recoil spring in the stock usually starts acting up in colder temps. You should clean the spring and tube at least once a year or after every time the gun gets really wet. SRM's Sure Cycle recoil spring tube and spring are well made and a good choice for some models. I would not use one in the Gold/Silver/SX2/SX3 unless you want to change recoil springs in the stock for light and heavy loads. I'd rather change the rings around on a Long Recoil model before the recoil springs. You may be lucky and just have crud built up in yours so you would not need to replace it. If rusted, I would use factory parts and maintain your gun better. This goes for any model that has a recoil/bolt return spring mounted in the stock.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
By the way My SX2 was purchased in the late summer of 2001, I remember because it was right before the 9/11 attacks.

I know I could always take better care of my guns, and, I do give them a fairly thorough cleaning after each season, but that recoil spring and tube thingy has just escaped me so far, plus I just don't have much trouble with the gun to remind me to do it.

I looks nice on the outside, does that count for anything?

As of late (the last 3 seasons) I have only used the SX2 for geese because I bought a Stoeger 2000 camo gun to play with hunting ducks. Unless my Son is hunting with me, as he insists on using the 2000, says it shoots where he looks without having to think about it. Young eyes and reflexes, I had them once upon a time.

Thanks,

Jeff

1 - 9 of 9 Posts