Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I own both guns and like both very much, my 391 is one of the original golds that were available when they first came out its a soft, relliable shooter, I have only used mine for targets.

My SX2 is a 3.5" mag that I use for hunting. The only time I have had trouble with it is that when it is very cold and wet (usually snow or freezing rain) with temps in the low 20's, It will sometimes fire but not go back into battery. This gun has been dunked more times than I can count, but it functions great except as noted above. I can shoot 1 1/8 taget loads out of it with no problems with temps in the upper 30's and dry.
I suspect that I need to tear the gun down and replace the tube and spring in the stock with a stainless sure cycle ones, as I'm sure mine has some rust issues after all this time and water.

If your looking for a target gun only I'd go for the 391, if a high powered 3.5" hunting gun the SX2 is the one i'd chose.

Good luck,

Jeff

The nut list- Baker 1898 Damascus barrel double hammer gun / American Arms single shot 12 ga/ Winchester Model 12 26" IC solid rib black diamond high grade straight grip checkered stock and fore end 12ga / Winchester 1300 Black Shadow Turkey 12ga / Winchester SX2 3 ½" 12ga / Browning Gold Hunter 20ga / Stoeger 2000 Max4 camo 12ga / Beretta AL391 Urika Gold 12ga / Remington 870 Wingmaster 20ga / Springfield .410 single shot (for yet to be conceived grand babies)/ Ugartechea Model 30 12 ga/ De Haan SGr-CS SxS on order since April, soon to be delivered, I hope!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
By the way My SX2 was purchased in the late summer of 2001, I remember because it was right before the 9/11 attacks.

I know I could always take better care of my guns, and, I do give them a fairly thorough cleaning after each season, but that recoil spring and tube thingy has just escaped me so far, plus I just don't have much trouble with the gun to remind me to do it.

I looks nice on the outside, does that count for anything?

As of late (the last 3 seasons) I have only used the SX2 for geese because I bought a Stoeger 2000 camo gun to play with hunting ducks. Unless my Son is hunting with me, as he insists on using the 2000, says it shoots where he looks without having to think about it. Young eyes and reflexes, I had them once upon a time.

Thanks,

Jeff

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.