Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recive some of my great-uncles reloading things. I found a box of alcan primers size 209. Can I use these in place of Win. 209 primers. I can't find any load data using the aclan primers? Any thing would be great!

Thanks

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
You can I suppose, but they may be a bit bright compared to WWs in some applications. They were made by Fiocchi. What hulls and powder do you have, I have a couple Alcan loading data booklets dating back to the mid '60s. I did use some of the ones I had but my loads were pretty mild, I wasn't too worried about them being too hot.

BP

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Burnt,
I'm using AA hulls in 12 and 20 and WAA12/WAA20. I can buy any type of powder because I have 1000 primers to use. Any reloading data with those huls and wads would help.

Thanks
:D

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
BP.... You're giving away your age if you remember Alcan. You're right on about the primers.... as I recall, they're a little warmer than a Wichester.

PAgsp... any published load using a Federal 209A (the "A" is important) or a CCI 209M (the "M" is important, too) would be just fine, as both of those primers are as hot or hotter than the old Alcans. If you're down at the lower end of the chart for a given powder/wad/shot charge combination, even the loads published for the Win 209 should be okay.

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
wwb is correct in his advise. I've loaded them that way with no problem whatsoever. And like wwb said, I'm giving away my age here, so It must not be too dangerous? I didn't get this old by being completly stupid! :roll: I'll look see what I have for data, but I'll bet it is mostly for Alcan powder and wads which I've used interchangably with AA wads without any problems. I loaded some shells awhile back with the Maxfire 220s which is what I think the Alcan 209s are called, in old style AAs. Shot just fine! I've got about 10 or 12 # of Alcan AL-5, 7, and 8 to use up sometime yet too. I'm going to use the AL-8 in 28 ga and the 5 and 7 in 20 ga shells.

BP

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Not to give away my age, or anything..... but I learned reloading with Alcan 7, paper hulls, fiber wads, and a roll crimp. I also remember when the "new" plastic shells came out, and my Dad bought a spiffy new MEC Super 250 to reload them.

·
Registered
499 Posts
wwb said:
Not to give away my age, or anything..... but I learned reloading with Alcan 7, paper hulls, fiber wads, and a roll crimp. I also remember when the "new" plastic shells came out, and my Dad bought a spiffy new MEC Super 250 to reload them.
That was my first setup - New Super 250 with a 13W charge bar & AL7 for 1 1/2 ounce Goose loads and I ain't old, I don't think. :lol:

DC

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.