Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the gun is a 12 gauge sxs 44 WCF, 78205 with a diamond and 12c inside ,the crest looks like a pineapple, 2 hammers on top with fireing pins ,the 44 is rifled, and there are 2 triggers, any info would be appreciated

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
I can't find Alger in any of my books.

The diamond with a 12 & C in it would indicate a Belgium proof mark for a 12ga choked barrel. This mark was from the 1888 proof law and retained by the 1923 law.

Not sure about the pineapple but it could be the Belgium mark for a gun made elseware and proofed in Belgium.

There should be other proof marks on the gun.

Before shooting this gun, you must be positive that it is nitro proofed. The 44 WCF was not a European caliber and I'd do a chamber cast to confirm that it is the proper cartrige for the gun. There are several US 44 centerfire cartridges and more European cartridges that will fit in the same hole.

The 12ga chambers may be 2 5/8", 2 1/2" or 2 9/16 " and modern 2 3/4" ammo should not be used in a short chambered gun.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.