Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
I'm surprised no one commented on this post. I think Allen McCannon is the best resource we skeet shooters have on this forum.... We are lucky in skeet that we have consistent targets, a consistent mount (if we train ourselves), and the ability to develop a very consistent move, or start as Allen says. No other clay target sport offers that except doubles trap.

I have never heard anyone but Allen say it is better to slightly late instead of slightly early. I know there is a theory of decreasing lead out there that would seem to disagree. Still, I think I support Allen's reading of the situation.

An early move creates a problem that is very hard to correct if you want to match speed with the target. I think it was Wayne Mayes who said H2 is a blended shot: semi-swing through and kinda like Allen's pull away I think--when your move is just a millisecond off and you can't establish a 100% sustained lead to break the target. In other words, Wayne agreed with Allen on how the shot came together.

Whatever your thoughts on "the move", this is a video you should watch and reflect on.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LG
This is quite a compliment and to have my name mentioned in the same sentence with Wayne is even more of a compliment. Thanks so much.

I will have more info coming.

If anyone has something that they would like for me to address, just let me know. If I have the knowledge I will try to help.

Allen aka WAM

·
Premium Member
2,803 Posts
Just watched the video, and I find it interesting. My coach has always told me H2 & L6 are the two targets that usually beat people, so learn to pull away or swing through them, if you can do that, the hardest two targets will always be under control.

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
ceh383 said:
...... My coach has always told me H2 & L6 are the two targets that usually beat people, so learn to pull away or swing through them, if you can do that, the hardest two targets will always be under control.
your coach should have just told people to set up properly, and that wouldn't happen!! Of course, I have one of the furthest out hold points on H2 and L6 you will ever see......I'm at the distance markers!

·
Premium Member
2,803 Posts
He's very much about proper hold and look points (very similar to Benders), but different weather conditions, backgrounds and such at different fields can lead to not picking up the target as quickly as you would like. So, learn to come from behind these two targets to complete your bag of tricks. Sooner or later everyone will get beat by a target or two or three... If you can't swing through or pull away at these times...target lost.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Nice video. I was shooting a lot of 23's, usually missing high 5, then low 6. Then a lot of 24's - low 6. Now more straights. I find that my hold point is critical on H2 and L6. I use the 1/3 hold point religiously. On every high house shot (all stations), my elevation is the bottom of the window. On every low house (all stations), my elevation is the top of the window. H2 I look back as far as I can without shifting my head off the stock. L2 I look just outside the window toward the edge of the house. If I move on the flash, my lead is perfect to hit the birds about 5-10 feet before the center stake. I look for daylight between the gun and the bird. If I see it, it's a hit. If I don't, I know I missed before I even pull the trigger. One thing I noticed in my evolution was that if I let the bird cross the center stake before I take the shot, my odds of a hit drop dramatically. Nice short stroke and pop it. My personal rule is "bad stuff happens if I ride a bird too long", so the last thing I remind myself of before stepping onto the pad is "shoot it before the stake".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.