Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are all Charles Daly top breaks smooth, or was the one I held recently just an exception? I am looking into getting a used one and I wonder if anyone has anything to say about the action - that is to say opening and closing the gun.

thanks in advance,

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
IF it is a Miroku built gun, then YES! If it hasn't been abused it is a very nice smooth action. About as good as they get! If it is a newer one from someplace else, all bets are off! Some are good guns, others are just, er, aha, just guns!

BP

·
Registered
10,501 Posts
I guess it would depend on which model CD you are looking at. The blue book lists over 3 dozen CD O/U guns. My uncle's Diamond Regent DL is quite smooth. Of course,he paid over $20K for it new. :wink:

CD imported O/Us from Spain,Italy,Japan and before WWII,Prussia.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So can I tell which gun I am looking at, or is there a year breakdown that I can go by? I guess the country of manufacture will be on the gun, right?

·
Registered
10,501 Posts
Take the barrels off and look for proof marks and country of origin. Post the marks here( better, some good photos) and we can help you.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Look for one by Miroku and you will be fine. They came out of the same factory and off the same machines as the Citori. I've got one that I use as a "bad weather" gun that is great. I paid some where around $700 for it in great shape.

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
They may have come off the same line and from the same factory as the Citori, but they are NOT the same gun, nor were they both being made at the same time. Today's Mirokus and Citoris may well be the same gun with a different name stamped on them, but the Charles Dalys were not. Similar, but not the same, actuually quite a bit different. Very good shotguns none the less! Like a fool I sold the one I had, but it did make room for a couple more nice guns too.

BP

·
Registered
718 Posts
Didn't mean to imply they were the exact same gun. Just that they were made at the same location using the same equipment. Thus, lending one and many more to believe in their higher quality such as the Citori is known for.
I know the one I have is every bit as reliable as any of the Citoris I have.
I didn't sell mine. :D Like I said, it's my "bad weather" gun when the others stay home.

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
TJC; Yup, many folks DO think they are either the same gun as the Citori or the 101. Nothing could be farther from the truth. If my Daly had had a barrel selector I probably would have kept it, but it didn't and was Full over Mod. Very nice field gun, I shoot Model 12s in the field!

BP

·
Registered
718 Posts
Burnt,
My Miroku has a barrel selector on the safety, 26" barrels, and is choked IC/Mod. Great gun to carry as well as does a nice job on pheasants.

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
Yup, they made a lot of varriants of that shotgun. Someday I may run across another in the right configuration and right price?

BP

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.