Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Remington 870 Bottomland
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some advice on which new shotgun I should buy. I have it narrowed down between two Mossberg 12 gauge pumps.
The first is a vintage 500A Field gun with a 26 inch vent-ribbed barrel and modified choke and the other is a Maverick 88 Security version with the 18.5 inch barrel and cylinder choke.
I will be using the gun mainly as a slug and buckshot slinger with the odd #5/6 birdshot load being used to liquify a nuisance squirrel/coywolf and pop a grouse for the table every now and then.
After having the opportunity to try both, I find myself leaning towards the 500A field gun as I find shooting slugs with the vent-ribbed barrel's bead sight much easier than with the plain 18.5 inch barrel on the Maverick 88, plus the modified choke groups 00 buck MUCH better at range.
I've never really understood the utility or advantage of "tactical" shotguns outside of Hollywood movies and a few Law Enforcement or Special Operations uses.
Personally, there's never been a scenario in which I wish I had a tactical shottie as opposed to a much more deadly and versatile field gun.
Just wanted to know if I am missing something from the "tactical" train of thought before I pull the plug on one of these?
Advice from everyone is welcomed! :giggle:

Kind regards,
Hayley
Sleeve Grey Wood Fashion accessory Pattern
Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Metal Gun accessory

·
Registered
8,053 Posts
I think maybe you answered your own question!

I’m with you on the “tactical” thing. I don’t think any of my guns are labeled as “tactical”, including AR’s, .45’s, various shorter barreled shotguns, etc.

In my opinion, most any 26” barreled pump shotgun makes a fine home defense weapon.

·
Registered
30 Posts
back when I couldn't afford much and had only one I really loved my 500 ( just like the picture of your top gun) but with a 20 inch barrel with interchangeable chokes. it worked great for me in all aspects..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts