Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I know Stoegers accomodate a mercury recoil reducer. However, they dont seem to make one...Will the benelli or Franchi recoil reducers work? I heard they will not, but I wanted to check with the people who REALLY know guns. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
184 Posts
I read somewhere on the board that the Franchi 912 reducer works on the stoeger. I'm not sure if you have tried the low tech version of just adding weight to the hollow stock. Seemed to work for me, but the recoil wasn't that bad in my opinion. I was just looking to add the weight as much for balance as any thing. I added about 7 oz to the stock.

·
Registered
11,367 Posts
Put a roll or two of pennies in the stock and stuff it with shipping peanuts. Better yet, weight 12 oz of shot, wrap it in saran wrap. Put it in the stock. Finish with shipping peanuts.

I read somewhere about a weighted magazine end cap to balance it when you pit weight in the stock. Can't remember where I saw it. I will try to find it.

My opinion, FWIW, don't waste money on recoil reducers. Buy a Limbsaver and put some weight in the stock. You'll be very pleased. I am.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I would just get the limbsaver. I added weight and it got too heavy. I just filled the stock wtih upholsterers foam and put on the limbsaver. It's great now. If you do wrap shot in saran wrap, make sure you also wrap that in a couple layers of duck tape. Otherwise the recoil will force the shot out of the saran wrap and it will be loose in your stock.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I haven't tried it yet, but my thought was to use the foam in a can. I think they make a "non-expanding version" that should work well filling the stock, without foaming over.

Also thought about using a piece of small diameter PVC to keep the channel open for the stock bolt. Might also add a separate PVC chamber for weight. You could add or subtract weight by keeping the PVC plugged with something ala a cork, PVC cap, etc. and accessing it from the buttpad end.

My current setup I have a "rubberized container" that is stuffed into the stock with weight in it. It is working well for me right now, so not sure I'll go to the foam version yet. Just thought I would share my thoughts in case someone else might want to try it.

·
Premium Member
4,638 Posts
I'd be reluctant to make an essentially permantent change like that (you are talking about something like insulating foam, right?). I'd be worried what they'd say if I had to send the shotgun back for repairs. "You modified the shotgun, warranty void!"

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yeah, not sure a stock mod would void the warranty. I can email customer service and ask the question. I'll try and dig up their email addy.

edited--

I went to their site and couldn't find a customer service email. They had a "ask a question" section that supposedly goes to cust service. So I sent it in thru their system, I'll let you know when I get a reply. 8)

·
Registered
130 Posts
I was originally going to use expanding foam. My plan was to line the inside of the stock with plastic so that I could remove the foam after it had set. This way it wouldn't be so permanent. However, I realized that they already make removable foam, and went to an upholstery shop and got a scrap.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts