Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought some 20/28 during the recent shortage of Universal. Don't much care for it using Win CF 20ga hulls and thought I might try it in 28ga using CF AA hulls. Only data I find is for 28ga HS. Will be using Win 209 and CB wads. Thinking 13gr, but thought I might poll the experts as pressures are pretty high even in data for HS hulls. Not much room for error. Thanks in advance for suggestions.

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
Alliant has never officially published data for 20/28 in the 28ga compression-formed AA's, but I can pass along what their technicians recommend: You guessed it! 13.0gr with a Win 209 and WAA28 wad. 13.5gr is the max load.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I asked Alliant for a recipe that I could use for 28 ga Win AA CF and Rem STS hulls, with Win209 primers and the PC 28 Blue wad. Here is there reply:

I would recommend Unique at 13.0 grains because the Pc wad is shorter
and will probably dish with 20/28. If it will crimp properly you can use
13.5 grains of 20/28. This applies to both hulls. Thanks for using our
product.

It works quite well with the WIN AA CF, but sometimes the REM STS isn't quite full enough. Some good crimps, some not so good.

·
Registered
10,358 Posts
Well gentlemen, I think you are reading something into the Alliant load book that isn't there.

The application says: 28 Gauge 2-3/4 inch Winchester AA Plastic Shells. It makes no mention of HS Hulls or CF hulls. Just simply AA plastic Hulls.

Looking further down at the 410 loads, It specifically states the (HS) Plastic shells.

Additionally it shows the 28 ga. loads using the older style wads, such as the Duster, and Claybuster, and Remington. Then it shows a load using the HS wad.

Yes, they should have split it up for clarity, but it's pretty clear that both cases work with very similar powder drops and only wad FIT, is a concern for the HS cases, or the CF cases.

When you consider the statements of the customer service desk, and then look closely at the data book, there isn't much doubt that the data is for both cases, although it doesn't state so.

DLM

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
When you consider the statements of the customer service desk, and then look closely at the data book, there isn't much doubt that the data is for both cases, although it doesn't state so.
And therein lies a little bit of a problem don't you think DLM?

By not stating things clearly and completely.....it leaves too many openings for too many interpretations....and MISinterpretations perhaps by newer..lesser experienced reloaders. They go to the websites many of us recommend and cannot always find what they are looking for or answers to their questions.

And then the questions appear on here once again that have been asked and answered God knows how many times. Not that that's a bad thing....at least they're searching for info rather than making assumptions and experimenting on their own....perhaps dangerously so.

Be nice if the providers of reloading data/info did not leave ambiguities....or gaps in the info they provide.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. Sorry if I annoyed the OV with my question, but I did try a search of the site first and have probably been reloading shotshells longer than most here. I have noticed some pretty harsh responses to reasonable questions of late. Some poor guy thinking of restoring a 650 really took a beating not too long ago. Again, thanks for the helpful responses.

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
I've said this before and I'll say it again: the printed and .pdf Alliant Reloader's Guide is an editing disaster!

Here's my theory: the entire 28ga AA section was supposed to be for HS hulls. However, somebody remembered some compression formed recipes (the most notable being the Green Dot load with the WAA28 wad), brought them to the table, saw the heading for AA's, and added it/them in. It's been a hodgepodge for two years now.

If you want to see a bigger disaster, look at the AAHS .410 data. It's totally wrong! It's compression-formed data only. Wrong wads, wrong pressure data. The true-blue HS data is available in the Online Data Center.

·
Administrator
23,244 Posts
Now you went and Did it again, You just gotta stir it up don't you :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Sorry if I annoyed the OV with my question,
NO NO Big Creek........not annoyed at all.

As a matter of fact....I'm interested in anything and everything I can find in the way of info on the 20/28 myself. I've just bought my first keg and haven't started using it yet.

But I have a bit of a variety of 28 ga hulls and info on loading any and all of them just isn't always readily available.

If anything, I get more annoyed sometimes with the powder manufacturer's websites not being as complete as I'd like to see them than questions asked by folks on here.

Hope you get the info you seek.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts