Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed Powder Valley is showing In Stock on 8 pound jugs of Red Dot, Green Dot, 20/28, and Herco at a price of $134. Still no sign of Extra Lite.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. Good to see powder flowing into the market and not disappearing.

I stocked up on Vectan AS, Prima SV and others last year. I've got 4 lbs of GD and about 4 lbs of Herco saved up for 16 gauge loads and about 1/3 way through my last 7 lb (8?) jug of Red Dot. Using the RD up and then switching fully to the various Vectan powders I have for my 12 gauge loads until it's time to look around again and see what's going on with pricing.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The next thing I am looking for re pricing:
When will 8 pound jugs of the IMR dots hit the market and what will be the price?
If it is lower than the Alliant dots, will they match it?
Will the LGS stock the IMR dots?

·
Administrator
23,244 Posts
The IMR does not have the Dots!
Well, I thought they didn't, but what do I know? I just watch the show that runs here every day. I might have been spreading an innocent lie out of ignorance.
Maybe they do actually have dots. Beats me.

·
Registered
291 Posts
albatros said:
When will 8 pound jugs of the IMR dots hit the market and what will be the price?
Grafs shows 8lber's of the new IMR Dots.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
IMR Red does indeed have red flakes. But I am sure that they will not call them dots.

I would guess that Hodgdon (IMR) is just waiting for Alliant to sue them, since they lost their suit against Alliant Clay Dot.

I think that we should call the new IMR line "IMR Colors" when referring to the new IMR line of powders. :D

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
waverider said:
IMR Red does indeed have red flakes. But I am sure that they will not call them dots.

I would guess that Hodgdon (IMR) is just waiting for Alliant to sue them, since they lost their suit against Alliant Clay Dot.

I think that we should call the new IMR line "IMR Colors" when referring to the new IMR line of powders. :D
For the same reason Hodgdon lost its suit against Alliant over "Claydot," Alliant will lose a suit against Hodgdon over its "colors" powders. I'm would bet the farm Hodgdon obtained legal advice on this issue before printing the labels and going ahead with the marketing campaign (if there is one). Hodgdon is just doing to Alliant what Alliant did to Hodgon. Hard to argue that turn about isn't fair play.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
I just wish they'd get their act together and make powder. I don't care if two companies have a red speck in their powder but unless they're interchangeable, someone, somewhere, is going to get them switched with bad results.

It's hard for me to see what the need is for all these new powders. Half of the IMR rifle powders are unknown to me and I wasn't aware of any gaps in the lineup begging to be filled. All kinds of new powders, yet some of the old workhorses are still out-of-stock; no-backorder.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Zbigniew said:
I just wish they'd get their act together and make powder. I don't care if two companies have a red speck in their powder but unless they're interchangeable, someone, somewhere, is going to get them switched with bad results.

It's hard for me to see what the need is for all these new powders. Half of the IMR rifle powders are unknown to me and I wasn't aware of any gaps in the lineup begging to be filled. All kinds of new powders, yet some of the old workhorses are still out-of-stock; no-backorder.
Well..the thread title is about a "workhorse" coming back in stock...at a major distributor.

And the "colors" are interchangeable per Hodgdon.

TMK just about all Hodgdon powders are currently available at "internet" prices.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As Jaeger says, the bottom line is:
Red Dot and Green Dot have been two of the most popular target powders for a long time and between the two, will do a nice job on just about any 12 gauge target load (other than very light.) 20/28 is a real fine 20 gauge powder. They are back in stock at a major internet distributor. The other major powder supplier has introduced powders that are real, real simlar to Red Dot and Green Dot (so darned similar they got dots.) These too are showing up in stock at major internet distributors.

I would add that a brand new line of powder, with data, and at very attractive pricing (Vectan) is now on the market. It is not yet widely distributed but is readily available and so far, remains in stock.

To any serious loader of target ammo, that is all GOOD news. In a year or two we have gone from "take whatever you could find and hope it was close to what you needed" to three different lines of powder, all of which will do a nice job on most target loads and all in stock at major internet vendors.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
albatros said:
CAC Associates website lists the IMR 8# "Dots" at $129.60.
They list Alliant 8# Dots at $124.60 except Blue Dot which would work out to be $130.88 per 8#.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts