Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alliant Unique velocity-1200(fps) win-209 prime,claybust wad,13.grains powder 3/4 oz. #9 shot=9,400(psi.)

Hogdon Universal Clays velocity-1200(fps) win-209 prime,claybust wad,13. grains powder 3/4 oz. #9 shot=10,800(psi.).

Could someonne explain what the PSI. rating does. Does it have to do with dram? Will there be a big difference in recoil? There is a difference of 1,400 psi. for two different powders with the same grain use.
Is one of the powders cleaner burnning than the other?
Using the powder for skeet , and sporting clays.[/list]

·
Registered
658 Posts
PSI is just pounds per square inch, it's the peak pressure generated by the propellant in the chamber. Mathematically I believe recoil does not depend on chamber pressures, but only on the mass of the load and how fast it's launched. How it feels on your shoulder, tho, might not be quite so straightforward. Maybe there's an engineer out there who can enlighten us further?

·
Registered
549 Posts
I find the most clean and versatile powder for the 28 gauge is Hogdon Longshot.I also load Universal Clays for target loads.Hogdons website has data for the new Win. AAHS hulls.
www.hogdon.com
Mike

·
Registered
260 Posts
My favorite is Universal Clays. I occasionaly use Unique and HS-7. Universal is not only clean, but happens to fit well with the components I use. In a 28, a little more or less volume will show up as either a difficult to crimp load or one that dishes.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Unique is a very versatile powder, and it has a wide variety of applications. It can be used in shotgun, handgun, and rifle. On the other hand, it does have several disadvantages. Primarily, it burns dirty, it meters poorly, and it is often out-performed by other powders.

In the 28 *****, I have tried Unique, Blue Dot, Universal Clays, Longshot, etc. For skeet loads (1150-1200fps) I have settled on Universal Clays; for sporting clays loads (1250fps) I use Longshot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts