Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been looking at 12ga stoeger uplanders. Just wondering about reliability. Not looking for a show winner. In my world it is always function over form. Also is it true you can use mossy 500 screw in chokes?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been doing my research and it seems to be a very polarizing firearm. Some absolutly love it some hate it. Don't know if all the naysayers have had any real experence with them or they just like to talk sh!#. Also read about people who have used and "abused" theirs with no issues. Then there is alot of people who have lots of "no fire" situations, but then they don't elaborate on the situation. Some say it hase to do with the vintage of the gun because it had changed manufacturers? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
buck- like any cheap gun, it has lots of quality control inconsistencies... some seem to work fine, others are a problem from the moment you open the box. You roll the dice and take your chances...

The Stoeger guns have been made by EA Armantino for a while now (the same company that brought us the Boito, which may be the worst break action gun ever made). Some will argue that they are made to a "price point" and that may be true, but there are just too many inconsistencies to dismiss...

·
Registered
296 Posts
For what it's worth I own one and love it. I always wanted a SXS but having a wife and two children keeps me from being able to spend a lot of money. So I bought the Uplander for a whopping $299 and have been totally happy with it so far. I used it to get started in sporting clays and put about 700 rounds through it doing that. Then I bought an OU for sporting clays and now just hunt with the Uplander. It does take the Mossberg 500 style chokes so replacements are easy to find. My only advice would be to buy one with the double triggers (like mine) because I have heard some people experience problems with the single trigger design. Could just be a rumor though. I prefer the double triggers anyways.

·
Registered
670 Posts
When I was looking for a low budget SXS I compared the Stoeger and the Remington SPR and felt the SPR was a nicer gun. The Stoeger was too chunky for me. I have been very happy with my 20 ga SPR and my friend has been happy with his 12 ga SPR.

If you are going to buy a low budget SXS, I recommend a two-trigger gun because they are mechanically simpler and therefore there is less that can go wrong.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
newlyn said:
If you are going to buy a low budget SXS, I recommend a two-trigger gun because they are mechanically simpler and therefore there is less that can go wrong.
Good advice, also if one barrel fails for any reason while in the field, you have a second independent barrel you can still use. Same should apply to inexpensive O/Us.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I picked up a 12ga. Uplander w/dual triggers used for $199. Must say, that for those dollars it would sure be hard to beat. Mine's a 26" barrel that's mostly used for Upland birds. I've shot sporting clays with it, but really not the best configuration for that.

Never failed to fire. Ever.

Mine shoulders wonderfully. Haven't picked up anything for below a grand that I liked better.

Only issue is to keep an eye on the screws the hold the metal to the forearm grip. They loosen, and when they do the gun binds when you try to open after shooting. A drop of blue Loctite once in a while seems to do the trick.

I also added a Hi-Viz sight to mine, which really improved pointing for me.

I'd do it!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for the feedback. I'll have to check out the remington. But the stoeger fits well. I'll still have time to check other guns out as I don't plan to add to my collection until the spring. Thank you once again.

·
Banned
16 Posts
newlyn said:
When I was looking for a low budget SXS I compared the Stoeger and the Remington SPR and felt the SPR was a nicer gun. The Stoeger was too chunky for me. I have been very happy with my 20 ga SPR and my friend has been happy with his 12 ga SPR.

two trigger on a SPR is definitely recommended. They'll fail so often it will be like you have a single shot.

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Look harder.

Consider the real cost of an inexpensive gun. Buy a cheap gun... gun breaks... you sell it and loose your shirt on the deal. Now you decide to get something a little better, but still cheap by most standards. Same thing happens.... not really what you want....you sell it and lose more money. Now you get smart the hard way and buy a quality gun. If you bought a good gun to start with, it would have cost less than you spent on your journey and you would have enjoyed yourself more along the way. In the end it's your decision - make a wise one.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
QuickSnort said:
newlyn said:

two trigger on a SPR is definitely recommended. They'll fail so often it will be like you have a single shot.

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
How about a used Stevens, Box Model B or Iver Johnson. It will take a bit of looking to find a clean one. The simple reality is that $400 doesn't get you much of a gun, new or used. At that price there are guns out there, but you will have to put up with their various problems. $800-1000 will put you in a gun that's much much better.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts